boat crash on You Tube

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
I was surfing You tube for diving video etc, and came across this. I dont think it would be on You Tube if someone got killed, I'm guessing everyone jumped off and got saved. But it reminded me of my days years ago as a chef on cruise ship about this size. The captain of the boat was trying to dock in Wiscassett Maine, and he was drunk, and plowed over a couple of small boats like this (unoccupied) and then banged into the dock.

Can you imagine being on this sailboat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkqKpnU8sCE&feature=related

cyberdigger

Reaction score
In my teen years I sailed and raced Bluejays and Lightnings (I MISS that!!) ..I've seen some bad collisions but nothing like this!!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
OMG...Major cringe factor there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:mad:]

P.S ! remember crossing on the old Stow ferry at Chautaqua lake at the 'narrows' and a sailboat lost control and tipped onto the Ferry,...it's sails draped over all 10 cars...[;)] Charlie,...that's cool that you used to race....I still have my real old copy of "Basic sailing"... J.B.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Well Bram,...you got me thinking and I googled it, but couldn't find that exact incident...I remember it well because we were in our 60 Chevy Impala on board the ferry and it was probably around 1965? I remember the sailcloth making it very dark in our car.......anyhow the old ferry played a large role in our lives when I was a kid...During those better times we had a summer cottage on the lake and the ferry was the only way across...(There's a giant four lane bridge now)... I did however find this.[;)]

A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE BEMUS POINT-STOW FERRY
At Chautauqua Lakeís Narrowest Crossing of 968 feet, the Bemus Point-Stow Ferry Has Been operating since 1811. It all began in 1806 when William Bemus bought the land on Both sides of the narrows and he and his son used rowboats to get across the Water. In 1811, Thomas Bemus applied for a license to operate a flat bottom raft. The license was granted in the summer of 1811, at the Court of Common Pleas in Mayville, located at the north end of the lake. This was the first order of business on the first meeting of that court. At first oars and poles where used to propel the ferry. This was followed by the use of manila ropes stretched between the shores. A few years later, a series of pulleys and ropes were devised, powered by the use of horses on the shore. By 1887, steel cables were put into use. At this time, the ferry was still being cranked by hand. The first steam engine was installed by 1902, followed by the first gasoline engine six years later. In 1943, the ferry was purchased and operated by the Chautauqua County Highway Department. The first diesel engine was used in 1977. Since 1983, The Chautauqua Lake Historic Vessels Co., a non-profit corporation devoted to preserving Historic vessels on Chautauqua Lake, had owned and operated the Ferry. In October of 2006 The Sea Lion Project Ltd. was organized

8D4D882A66524E1491904CDF914019E3.jpg

Attachments

• 8D4D882A66524E1491904CDF914019E3.jpg
    8D4D882A66524E1491904CDF914019E3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 49

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Charlie,...that's cool that you used to race....I still have my real old copy of "Basic sailing"

You remember how to tack and jibe? [;)]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Well Charlie,...I got the book and was determined to learn to sail,...because this wealthy "year round" (permanent vs. summer folk) girl up the lake sailed....before that I had only miserable row boat and later a small evinrude motor, (with seemingly no ignition system[:D]) experience...(I'd sit out on the lake feeding the mosquitos, while I wound the miserable rope around the pully for the 20th time)....SO,..I was never very good at sailing, and had a few dangerous experiences trying to learn to tack and jibe....(I always mixed up the two)...tacking is coming about with your stern crossing the wind?) Anyhow,...I got knocked out of my borrowed "sunfish" sailboat, more times than I care to admit....[sm=lol.gif] and I respect thee for having the ability to race....I used to watch the races with a touch of envy....when all I really needed was someone to take me out and show me how to sail. the few times I made it work were pure magic.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, I never was "captain" (didn't own a boat) but I did pretty well as crew.. sometimes I was forced to clobber the captain unconscious with a batten rod in order to win the regatta.. Sunfishes are sit-down windsurfers, your supposed to get wet! [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmtrails