Booz bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's great information Mr. Grenda. I still have the info on Downer in my files. I hope you can check in more often.
I should think a link to the museum would be just fine if you wish.
Thank you, Eric

heritageglass

Reaction score
We are currently working on a new website, will post a link when it's completed
The Heritage Glass Museum is located at 25 E High Street Glassboro, NJ
856-881-7468
free admission
Open Wednesdays 12-3
Saturdays 11-2
and the last Sunday of the month 12-3.
Tours available
Founded in 1979 on the original site of the Whitney Glass Works. We display predominately South Jersey Glass (1750-present),
We also feature a library with glass related reference materials.
We are currently featuring a collection of 20th century South Jersey backyard glassblowers including Clevenger, Emil Larson, August Hofbauer, Beacon, Adolph Macho, Farabella, Collini, Iona, Downer, Ted Ramp and Marks Glass
Begining this spring we will feature a display of the Hexamer Surveys(circa 1880s-90s). These are highly detailed insurance illustrations of various South Jersey Glass Works, including Winslow Glass Works, Williamstown Glass Works, Tansboro Glass Works, Whitall Tatum Co(Millville, NJ), Warrick Glass(Glassboro), and Cohansey Glass (Bridgeton). These were only recently discovered and have never been published or publicly displayed. To date only available in the map collections of the Philadelphia Free Library and the Library Of Congress.
The Museum non-profit and is totally funded by donations, memberships and gift shop sales. Many of our featured displays are from private collections. If you have pieces or a collection of glass you would like to loan or donate, please contact us.
We are always looking for members, volunteers and trustees - if you have a passion for glass or would just like to support a good cause, please contact us.

Thanks

Rick Grenda
Heritage Glass Museum

47718279D4B547E4AA2CD565A9BFEA16.jpg

Attachments

• 47718279D4B547E4AA2CD565A9BFEA16.jpg
    47718279D4B547E4AA2CD565A9BFEA16.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 112

MPB

Reaction score
Thanks so much Rick! That give me a ton to go off of. I did find a photo, and while it is not a Booz bottle, the stopper sure does look similar.

C519D54B12BA41A586A7C7C791096A91.jpg

Attachments

• C519D54B12BA41A586A7C7C791096A91.jpg
    C519D54B12BA41A586A7C7C791096A91.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 116

MPB

Reaction score
Sorry...the photo is from http://www.spglass.com/rarities.html

MPB

Reaction score
Could it be that the top is from the Dell Tulip collection? Through the research I have done, it looks like it could be part of that, and not original to the Booz bottle...

What do you all think?

heritageglass

Reaction score
Dell did sell them with stopper.
A photo appears in Tom Haunton's book "Tippecanoe and EG Booz Too"

Jerseyana

Reaction score
Good evening all, and especially to MPB.

MPB's blue Booz bottle is one made for the Dell Company in a mold formerly owned by Clevenger Brothers between 1930 and 1942. Dell owner Sam Gerson acquired the Clevenger's straight roof Booz mold along with Clevenger's first large Washington bottle and Jenny Lind bottle molds in 1942. Gerson then put them in catalog for Old Williamsburg Glass (a Dell subsidiary), printed in January 1943.

Gerson operated at least eight different glass companies (usually 2 at a time) under the Dell moniker. two that did operate at the same time were the Old Jersey Glass Company and Dell Glass Company. The two companies operated in the same building in Millville, NJ, usually right next to each other! Old Jersey made the handblown glass, while Dell made most of the pressed "tulip" line of depression glass. (There are some Old Jersey pressed pieces too.)

The stopper you have is in fact a tulip stopper for the long neck decanter you show in one of your photos. Another stopper with musical notes on it was produced to accompany a violin bottle decanter. I have seen both of these stoppers accompany Dell Booz bottles.

The Dell/Old Jersey/Old Williamsburg Booz bottles do not all accept the stoppers. Most that do are the lightweight Booz bottles that I designate a GVII-9 Booz. (using the McKearin numbering system I received permission to use.) The decanter Boozes have a slightly more open neck that will accept the stopper. Some bottles even have a lip with a flattened ledge that the stopper sits on.

My book on cabin bottles, entitled Tippecanoe and E. G. Booz Too!, is still available from me in a CD-ROM format, though I don't have many left. (You can contact me directly about it at tchaunton@comcast.net)

I've just finished Volume 1 of my work about 20th century South Jersey glass. The first book is about Clevenger Brothers, incredibly detailed (and documented!) with 437 pages and 800+ photographs. I'm expecting some proof copies from a printer next week, then will be publisher shopping shortly after. Volume 2 will cover about 30 of the Clevengers' contemporaries, including the numerous divisions of the Dell Company.

Stay tuned for the releases of these books!

All the best,

Tom Haunton
Wilmington, MA

MPB

Reaction score
Thanks so much, Mr. Haunton!
The info you provided is invaluable! I love to find out the history of these objects...the stories can be more interesting them the items themselves!!

Any rough idea what the insurance value of this bottle would be?
Thanks again for your most excellent help!

-m-

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi again. I'm glad the people who knew checked in. I'm surprised that I was somewhat close and I learned a lot. Dell but a Clevenger mold ain't bad for me.
I think Rick Grenda thought maybe $200 in very good condition. My $400 may have been a bit high, maybe $300 for insurance. It does sound like it would be a tough one to replace without searching real hard for one.
Again, thanks for bringing it, I love to learn.
Tom, I had no idea you lived so nearby. Do you have plans for a re-release of the hard copy?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause