Boss spend $1350 on a storage unit but nothing good in it at all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
wanted to share with you a story which has been annoying me endlessly the last 2 weeks and still not clear how it will end . a few months ago i started a part time job at this local business that buys and sells things mostly thru an online auction system . typically they get things from consignors or houses which are being cleared out . but now and then buy storage units , this is the first and only unit they've got during the time i've worked there

recall about 2 weeks ago i showed up and they were bidding on it on the computer , i recall seeing the price and though it was too much and mentioned i didn't think it be worth it but they claimed they could make the money back ( this was before they had actually seen what was inside )
then later that day when they won the auction they started to go there to remove the items , but started to soon realise it was junk , mainly 20-30 boxes , most only have paper or books in them ( not even good books alot of text books out of date ) , some boxes also had kitchen stuff , paper is old school work some of it goes back the the 90's this person saved it for that long . some baseball cards mixed in too , and 2 coca cola cans from 80's/90's but one still had liquid in it and got threw out as it leaking , a bottle too one of those sobe ones i find but not sure what they did with it might of got thrown out too. were also throwing out alot of the baseball cards which makes no sense as they were of perhaps some value

some furniture/ upholstered chairs but mostly damaged or had mice poo on it so all went to the dump , kept the small metal table and 4 chairs , also an air conditioner but yet to plug it in to see if it works and 2 speakers or amps but yet to test either

the boxes have been sitting here for 2 weeks now on a shelve in the warehouse and they refuse to yet me look thru them , wondering if they'll be gone when i return after the easter break . ( note they went thru 2 boxes one day when i was not there , they only contained some paper and a few baseball cards they didn't seem to even keep , was also 1 box that had alot of pennies and nickels in plastic bins but wouldn't be more than $20 worth of coins in them ) so i suspect they might go thru the rest perhaps so no one else sees the junk they paid this much money for

i also found out who originally owned the unit as his name on all the papers , was from another city and came here to work at an addictions treatment centre as a counsellor but got fired due to misconduct ( had dated a client and tried to cover it up , thing i saw also indicated he had some sort of foot fetish as he had been accused of taking pictures of her feet ) sometime between 2020-2022 so likely abandoned the unit and left little of any value as he would of been broke as he had no job

these are pictures of the actual unit as they appeared on auction website , does it look like its worth $1350 its only a small 5 x 10 end unit not an actual full size unit , i see little of value in the pictures but a bunch of boxes and a vaccum , can also see the speakers almost like it was staged so buyer though it contain musical instruments which it did not

unit.jpg
unit1.jpg
unit2.jpg
unit3.jpg
unit4.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Not with my money. $13.50 maybe.
i know the $1350 bid is really hard to understand based on the pictures and you can only bid based on what you see in the pictures .

even if they had only paid a couple hundred dollars for this unit not sure it be possible to get the money back

its even worse when you start going thru the boxes , like literally all trash , papers just junk , nothing you could resell

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah paying $1350 for that is bizarre. Even if the two amps meant that there were two corresponding guitars, that still likely wouldn't mean that it was worth that much - most guitars, especially the kind that people are likely to leave in abandoned storage lockers, aren't that valuable. I wonder if your boss had been watching too much Storage Wars and thought that the sort of things they find on those sort of shows are typical for all storage units.

RCO

Reaction score
Yeah paying $1350 for that is bizarre. Even if the two amps meant that there were two corresponding guitars, that still likely wouldn't mean that it was worth that much - most guitars, especially the kind that people are likely to leave in abandoned storage lockers, aren't that valuable. I wonder if your boss had been watching too much Storage Wars and thought that the sort of things they find on those sort of shows are typical for all storage units.

not entirely sure at a loss to explain this one , i know based on whats there in the pictures a bid more than a couple hundred seems crazy .

someone else was bidding obviously , so i wonder if they intentionally ran up the price when they realised they weren't going to get it cheap , although cannot view bid history to see how it all came to be , it only shows the final price

and not sure if the $1350 included any taxes or fees , also had to pay a $200 deposit but got that back when unit cleaned out 2 weeks ago , also bizarre they won't go thru the boxes either , unit had mice droppings so you think they'd want them out of our facility ASAP especially since they appear to contain nothing of value at all

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Lol. There's a sucker born every minute.

RCO

Reaction score
Lol. There's a sucker born every minute.
i'm wondering if the unit was staged , if they put a couple good items at the front intentionally

or the other person bidding intentionally rang up the price knowing it wasn't worth that much but wanted the other bidding to pay more than it was worth

Newtothiss

Reaction score
All of the above probably. TV "reality" shows have made people even stupider and more gullible than they already were..
Tell your boss you got a bridge to sell him, or ocean front property in AZ that you'll let go for cheap!

RCO

Reaction score
All of the above probably. TV "reality" shows have made people even stupider and more gullible than they already were..
Tell your boss you got a bridge to sell him, or ocean front property in AZ that you'll let go for cheap!
i'm also wondering if there delaying opening them cause they've planted something of value in the boxes when i wasn't around so when we open them next week we find it and doesn't appear like such a bad buy

Newtothiss

Reaction score
Lol. The only thing worse than making dumbass decisions, doing it with an audience...
You'll know if something fishy is going on if they cease to buy units.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac