Boss spend $1350 on a storage unit but nothing good in it at all

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
Lol. The only thing worse than making dumbass decisions, doing it with an audience...
You'll know if something fishy is going on if they cease to buy units.

we went thru some of the boxes this week and as bad as i though , very little which could be re sold at an auction , a few items here and there but alot of papers .

this guy saved such odd stuff , was small piles of 20 or 30 cards , like business cards and gift cards but mixed in was old credit cards , he kept his old visa from 2010 , aren't you suppose to cut them up once they expire ?

was also school work from the 80's and 90's in one box , that he had kept all this time

UnderMiner

Reaction score
The real way to make money isn't to buy stuff/junk it's to have people pay you to take their stuff/junk. People selling their houses will sometimes pay to have the stuff removed by someone rather than do it themselves. Then you will already have a profit before even selling anything. I did this alot in my teens a few years back. Once got paid to take the entire contents of this guy's house, and it included a bunch of old paper labeled coca-cola syrup bottles. I sold most of the bottles but kept the best one for myself.

RCO

Reaction score
The real way to make money isn't to buy stuff/junk it's to have people pay you to take their stuff/junk. People selling their houses will sometimes pay to have the stuff removed by someone rather than do it themselves. Then you will already have a profit before even selling anything. I did this alot in my teens a few years back. Once got paid to take the entire contents of this guy's house, and it included a bunch of old paper labeled coca-cola syrup bottles. I sold most of the bottles but kept the best one for myself.

the place i work does normally do that sort of thing , alot of older people here and often houses need to be emptied out cause someone moved into a retirement home or passed away . is alot of stuff which needs a new home , some of which can be re sold

not entirely sure why my boss bought this storage unit as they seem to have enough leads on places to find stuff that they didn't really need it to begin with and seemingly nothing at all of significant value in it . i'd be surprised if the contents even generate more than a couple hundred dollars in the auction

only a couple boxes left to go thru and we haven't found anything worth more than a few dollars , all thats left is some kitchen boxes and a couple which appear to have nothing but paper or old photos

RCO

Reaction score
more of an update , went thru some more boxes mostly the remaining kitchen stuff and it was really bad . alot of just plastic containers and not even good ones all cheap and really low end glass wear and such . was a bread maker but doubt it will go for very much

figured out why they only wanted to go thru the boxes on thursday cause its garbage day here and basically everything is going in the trash but a few items that are on a shelf but seems to be little that can be re sold .

only a few boxes remain and really doubt they contain much at all , one has a lot of music magazines like rolling stone and spin from 10 years ago but doubt they'll go for much either if they even sell

RCO

Reaction score
People hold to strange stuff...
especially true for this person , surprised they let it all go for whatever $ small amount they owed on the unit , some of the stuff they had kept for decades cause it was only really worth anything to them . there whole life accumulation of stuff pretty much just went into the garbage , even there old high school yearbooks went , boss didn't see any point in trying to resell them i guess or felt they'd be worth little here as there not from our area

Newtothiss

Reaction score
The fate of us all...

I've seen it many times, entire live reduced to a number of boxes; then ultimately, the trash (most of it).

TexasRancher

Reaction score
wanted to share with you a story which has been annoying me endlessly the last 2 weeks and still not clear how it will end . a few months ago i started a part time job at this local business that buys and sells things mostly thru an online auction system . typically they get things from consignors or houses which are being cleared out . but now and then buy storage units , this is the first and only unit they've got during the time i've worked there

recall about 2 weeks ago i showed up and they were bidding on it on the computer , i recall seeing the price and though it was too much and mentioned i didn't think it be worth it but they claimed they could make the money back ( this was before they had actually seen what was inside )
then later that day when they won the auction they started to go there to remove the items , but started to soon realise it was junk , mainly 20-30 boxes , most only have paper or books in them ( not even good books alot of text books out of date ) , some boxes also had kitchen stuff , paper is old school work some of it goes back the the 90's this person saved it for that long . some baseball cards mixed in too , and 2 coca cola cans from 80's/90's but one still had liquid in it and got threw out as it leaking , a bottle too one of those sobe ones i find but not sure what they did with it might of got thrown out too. were also throwing out alot of the baseball cards which makes no sense as they were of perhaps some value

some furniture/ upholstered chairs but mostly damaged or had mice poo on it so all went to the dump , kept the small metal table and 4 chairs , also an air conditioner but yet to plug it in to see if it works and 2 speakers or amps but yet to test either

the boxes have been sitting here for 2 weeks now on a shelve in the warehouse and they refuse to yet me look thru them , wondering if they'll be gone when i return after the easter break . ( note they went thru 2 boxes one day when i was not there , they only contained some paper and a few baseball cards they didn't seem to even keep , was also 1 box that had alot of pennies and nickels in plastic bins but wouldn't be more than $20 worth of coins in them ) so i suspect they might go thru the rest perhaps so no one else sees the junk they paid this much money for

i also found out who originally owned the unit as his name on all the papers , was from another city and came here to work at an addictions treatment centre as a counsellor but got fired due to misconduct ( had dated a client and tried to cover it up , thing i saw also indicated he had some sort of foot fetish as he had been accused of taking pictures of her feet ) sometime between 2020-2022 so likely abandoned the unit and left little of any value as he would of been broke as he had no job

these are pictures of the actual unit as they appeared on auction website , does it look like its worth $1350 its only a small 5 x 10 end unit not an actual full size unit , i see little of value in the pictures but a bunch of boxes and a vaccum , can also see the speakers almost like it was staged so buyer though it contain musical instruments which it did not

View attachment 245279View attachment 245280View attachment 245281View attachment 245282View attachment 245283
Back in the late 80's early 90's we went to a few of these storage unit sales...long before THEY became HOT...I always bid $13.13 and won almost all I bid on. I was very careful about what i bid on...BECAUSE you became the responsible party to clean them out completely and sweep them. Back then, nothing went over $100. due to the work involved. TV shows and finding gold-silver bullion, coin collection...has ruined these once unknown storage sales only found in the newspaper. Where 6 to 10 people showed up.

RCO

Reaction score
Back in the late 80's early 90's we went to a few of these storage unit sales...long before THEY became HOT...I always bid $13.13 and won almost all I bid on. I was very careful about what i bid on...BECAUSE you became the responsible party to clean them out completely and sweep them. Back then, nothing went over $100. due to the work involved. TV shows and finding gold-silver bullion, coin collection...has ruined these once unknown storage sales only found in the newspaper. Where 6 to 10 people showed up.

even if they had only paid $ 100 not sure there'd be any money to be made on this unit at least not very much . yes they had to clean it out , it was very disgusting , had mouse droppings in it , none in any of the boxes though but was on the floor

margclearlake

Reaction score
i was buying units a few years back, still have tons of stuff. not good at getting rid of. I always go through the papers and greeting cards cause i am nosy. found 24 PERFECT bird point arrowheads. if i hadnt have looked they would have gone to my burn pit.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp