Boston was famous for window glass in later colonial times.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Still weird, what do you think? Maybe the factory burnt before they were annealed and it was to late so they dumped them? The annealing room burnt before they could finish? Just came out and didn't meet specifications? None of that makes sense to not recover something.
Great for you to have it but what happened? Please speculate.
The packers went on strike so why bother! That's it. isn't it?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My dad had his house jacked up to replace some sill (1934 cape house) and they cracked a bullseye above the door in the process. He had a heck of a time finding a replacement. Anyway, the bullseye was still in use then. Totally different process I'm sure though.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well that all makes a good thread. I have been collecting pictures and information to put together a blog on the subject. Steve, did you get any pictures of the Corning exhibit of the man blowing the tall cylinder bottles, that had the top and bottoms cut off and the side cut so the flattening lehr could turn the sidewall - flattened to make sheets, that were later cut into window panes? But I couldn’t find them.

We have a lady in our bottle club that has a ceiling, framed collection of these spun sheet glass pontils, for a panel over her kitchen counter bar. It is top lit and beautiful. She often hosts' our Bottle Club Meetings, and is this month, I think I will take my camera and get a picture of it.

Neat thread and thank you - as I so often do Steve. RED Matthews 11/18/10.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Red I dont know if I got a picture of the window glass I will check.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26