Bottle Buying Ebay vs Shows

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

baltbottles

Reaction score
I think you have to look at how most dealers get the bottles they are selling. Most Dealers are not diggers and all the items on their table were bought. Take your C. Shaal for example. To me $23 seems like a good deal. But most dealers if they had bought that bottle would then likely have it tumbled which would probably cost another $20 so now they have $43 into that bottle. Then they want to make a decent profit of probably around $20 so now you have to get $63 for the bottle to make it worth selling . So they would likely sit the bottle on their table with a $70- $75 price tag on it. So buyers can talk them down a little.

Now the big problem with this is that you now have a fairly common Philly soda thats overpriced in my opinion. So the bottle is likely to sit on your table for many shows. One of the things I hate most at shows are dealers that never seem to have any fresh inventory. They have the same overpriced bottles year after year.

My favorite tables to check out at any show are those of very active privy diggers as they always have new and interesting stuff and the prices are usually quite reasonable. And rarely has anything been tumbled or messed with.

Chris

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I go to shows to force myself to be in crowded places and meet people (kind of a phobia). I'm probably not very welcome for the never bringing more than $30 but I always end up having a good time and grab a few things from dollar boxes.
Ebay never knows I'm there and aren't going to spend. [:D][:D][:D]

ratbastard

Reaction score
i buy off ebay or my local antique stores as there are no bottle shows in my area.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I mainly only go to the Keene show, it's a 30 year plus family tradition at this point... I get better deals at Keene on inks generally than I do on ebay. However, I see way more stuff that I'm interested in on ebay than I do at Keene. Ebay has, IMO, hurt the shows somewhat. Why would you sell a mid-west medicine at Keene when you can put it up on ebay and get local mid-west collectors to bid on it? Ebay draws a huge audience. Bottle shows draw a limited, and usually local, audience.

Jim G

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4