Bottle collector Dublin, Ohio

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sportsturf

Reaction score
Recently joined Antique-Bottes.net. I have been collecting about 25 years, mostly medicine bottles. I don’t having anything very valuable but I enjoy what I have. I have a Perry Davis and Son vegetable pain killer that is 4 3/4” tall. Was wondering if anyone might know age and or value.
Thank you,
Sportsturf

Attachments

• 76CFFB7E-B91C-496D-B364-2E00F2D7CF10.jpeg
    76CFFB7E-B91C-496D-B364-2E00F2D7CF10.jpeg
    487.9 KB · Views: 87

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
When asking for info on a bottle it is important to show a closeup of the top showing the lip finish and the base showing any marks. At first glance yours looks like 1880 to 1910. Paper labels are tough because they are so easily faked. They also tend to be worth less than embossed bottles. That does not make yours worthless or less interesting. You need a collector of medicines to get a good appraisal, but sometimes a bottle has more value for where its from than what it is. Happy hunting!

DavidW

Reaction score
That looks like an embossed bottle. What is the exact wording embossed on the sides (the narrow sides, as opposed to the wider "front" and "back"). Definitely looks 1880s-1890ish to me.

Sportsturf

Reaction score
That looks like an embossed bottle. What is the exact wording embossed on the sides (the narrow sides, as opposed to the wider "front" and "back"). Definitely looks 1880s-1890ish to me.
Thank you for your reply. On one side is VEGETABLE and on the other side is PAIN KILLER. Embossed on the front in the recessed square area is DAVIS.

Sportsturf

Reaction score
When asking for info on a bottle it is important to show a closeup of the top showing the lip finish and the base showing any marks. At first glance yours looks like 1880 to 1910. Paper labels are tough because they are so easily faked. They also tend to be worth less than embossed bottles. That does not make yours worthless or less interesting. You need a collector of medicines to get a good appraisal, but sometimes a bottle has more value for where its from than what it is. Happy hunting!
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the information. I have enjoyed reading some of the threads. I really like this site.

DavidW

Reaction score
Sportsturf, that type of bottle is illustrated in the reference book "A Collector's Guide to Patent & Proprietary Medicines" by Joseph Baldwin.
He writes (on page 145) that that "product was sold for more than 60 years, available in many sizes, with pontil and plain bases."
The product "Davis' Vegetable Pain Killer" was introduced about 1840. Listed in the "Connecticut Directory" for 1851.
The bottle is pretty common, but it would be interesting to see a number of different specimens and compare them with each other....... some with pontil marks on the bottom and cruder applied lip, others that look newer with a tooled lip but a smooth base. I would guess yours does date from the 1880s or 1890s.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen