Bottle Digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Road Dog

Reaction score
This is a bottle I have had quite a while. It contains Liniment and smells as nice as the day it was made. This bottle came from a site on the coast of N.C. This bottle has no rub marks or ground marks even on the bottom. How? This bottle come from under about a foot of water. Around 1890 or so there used to be a store out on a pier. A hurricane came along and put it in the water. This store carried everything. I found all sorts of extract bottles, Tarrants, Bromo and of coarse liniments.I pulled up some unmarked extracts and when they came to the surface the corks fell out and all I could smell was peppermint. I even pulled up some tiny paint bottles that contained gold paint. All digging had to be done at low tide. I have been meaning to get back there cuz I know there is alot more to get out of there.

Vt57696.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57696.jpg
    Vt57696.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 49

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ROADIE...that's a local bottle for me. I have a couple with labels & contents....yours has " Andrews Sure-Shot Vermifuge" in it...circa 1900....value about $10-12.00.

The late VERNON CAPPS discovered quite a cache of these in the basement of an old building in NC back several years ago...many with labels...and boxes.
Unfortunately the basement had flooded and many boxes & labels were ruined. I was fortunate enough to acquire a few with good labels.

Ernest Linwood ANDREWS worked for the L.Gerstle Medicine Company in Union/Bluff City,Tenn. until the late 1880's, then he relocated to Bristol and began his own Patent Medicine business, beginning with the St.Andrews line of products. His business lasted into the early 1930's....

whiskeyman

Reaction score
He also made a Nerve & Bone Oil, and a Magic Relief...both were liniments.

Other related concoctions were "Erlinaw" and "rubonoil"....also liniments.

*(note the Erlinaw is a "play" upon the letters of his own name).

whiskeyman

Reaction score
anytime...[:)]

I have a "history" of the Company that I researched and wrote...Will send you a copy if you want one...Just send me your snail mail addy.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28