Bottle diving with my son...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Those are nice recoveries! The boston and the london bottles are keepers. I am also a diver, but the ocean is about 3hrs away. I know there are lakes around, but would have to know where people tossed their bottles.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey VA...

I dive all over the northeast... 5' to 50' deep... rivers, ponds, streams, lakes, oceans... you name it.[;)] Bottles were tossed all over the place. Try to find some old steamboat landings, old bridges, railroad trestles, canals, hotel landings... you name it. Check out the old maps... I'm sure there are places near you that have bottles strewn about the bottom.

You have to be able to lay on the bottom, in the mud and drive your hands deep into the muck and "feel" the glass. It is a great moment when yourealize you grabbed a nice pontiled piece of "glass" [:D]

My brother lives down in Virginia and I been threatening to come down and visit him. Maybe I will and I will be sure to bring my gear with me. How cold does the water get during the winter?

Wayne

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
The water gets cold, and the lakes freeze for several days, however much less than Maine. I might try to dive for bottles in the James river, but I have heard the current makes visibility near zero. I need to research the lakes closer to me; many seem man-made after 1920 which is not worth digging.

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey VA...

I heard that you could get in trouble if you remove a bottle or old trinket from the James river. A lot of Civil War sites and protected areas down your way?

Wayne

VA is for Diggers

Reaction score
Any national park is off limits. I know that many divers have searched for relics from the crossings and found some great things; as for bottles, I am unaware of any law forbidding diving and picking up the bottle (trash for some.) I would obviously check beforehand the local laws.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey