bottle dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Whisperingwinds

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a question... Ive found a bottle dump on the side of a hill.
There are many broken ones on the top soil and some a few inches down,
Ive recovered a few with the corks still intact, but Im concerned that I dont break any. Would anyone have any suggestions on how far I should dig and what I should use.
Some seem to be very fragil. Ive also found many crocks and chineese coins.
There is also a lot of china pieces.
Thanks
Sherry

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Sherry, I would use a good garden scraper and a short handled shovel. I would also get a good pair of hand snips ( I use sheetmetal shears ) to cut roots.

Dig as far down as the bottles go. Does the dump run down the side of the hill or is it mostly at the top or bottom?

Whisperingwinds

Reaction score
Hi Warren,

It goes down the hill...Ive found every kind of lip imaginable.
It seems they are mostly at the top part of the hill and covered with grass in some places and some not in other places.
Thanks,
Sherry

elmoleaf

Reaction score
Find a long thin metal rod or something similar...poke it into the ground at the bottom of the hill. Try to find where the glass /soft earth stops.
Begin digging there....work your way up the hill, always throwing dirt down into the area already dug. This will keep you from burying undug areas, and will make it easier to rebury all the junk bottles etc.

Whisperingwinds

Reaction score
Thank you, thats a good idea. It does seem that there would be some further down.

Giftsatgreatdeals

Reaction score
Some seem to be very fragil. Ive also found many crocks and chineese coins.
There is also a lot of china pieces.

When I read that I pictured a railroad where the Chineese were used in work camps.

I envy those that find new digging sites. Its like winning the lottery. Take your time and enjoy it while staying safe.

kastoo

Reaction score
http://www.cleanairgardening.com/wolflawntools.html

This is just an example I used for purposes of showing the digging tool I'd use not to damage bottles. Use the ends marked C and E. If you have soft soil you can use plastic but I usually have hard soil so I have to use metal. The idea is to try and not touch the bottles you are digging out. Don't get excited like me and pull a bottle out while the dirt still has it...it can and will break. On the other hand when your in a dump you have to dig down sometimes and bottles will be broken, unless of course you want to probe everywhere you put your shovel in. I'd rather use all my time digging. Good luck!

Whisperingwinds

Reaction score
Thank you !:) I will take the good advice!
The only thing is that here the temp. has been 105 or so..I just have to pick the right time of day.
On the 4th I went at 7 am...I found a collector coin for quacker oats..l Louisanna purchase...........:D right on the top of some broken lips.......lol its so fun!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR