Dr D Jaynes Expectorant

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kate2828

Reaction score
Should I be digging deep to find more items or will they mostly be on the top layer of soil? I'm assuming it's location dependent and this spot is towards the top of a forested ravine. I found this full bottle today along with many other broken pieces. Labeled Dr D Jaynes Expectorant

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_160425130.jpg
    PXL_20240204_160425130.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 71

Johnny M

Reaction score
Should I be digging deep to find more items or will they mostly be on the top layer of soil? I'm assuming it's location dependent and this spot is towards the top of a forested ravine. I found this full bottle today along with many other broken pieces. Labeled Dr D Jaynes Expectorant
You're probably in a rural country dump and they are usually shallow in my experience. If you found lots of broken pieces you're probably in the heart of the area but if there is a ravine below then most certainly check it out with test digging. I found a pontil dump like this once and it looked like they just dumped little baskets of daily junk and bottles down a steep hill for years as there were shallow fragments on top, and all the way down the bank surface and the graveyard of everything filling a shallow ravine about 25 feet below the top of the bank. Everything seemed to be broken from tumbling all that way. Even thick blob tops were broken. Almost got a pontiled umbrella but the neck was broken off. Some nice smashed stuff too with the best broken being an iron pontil ne plus ultra pint fruit jar in dark green aqua! Talk about a crier :( I would still check below though because there could be whole stuff at your site !Johnny M.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Sometimes bottles are only on the surface but sometimes more buried below. try digging & see what happens. Good luck. Leon.

Last edited:

Kate2828

Reaction score
You're probably in a rural country dump and they are usually shallow in my experience. If you found lots of broken pieces you're probably in the heart of the area but if there is a ravine below then most certainly check it out with test digging. I found a pontil dump like this once and it looked like they just dumped little baskets of daily junk and bottles down a steep hill for years as there were shallow fragments on top, and all the way down the bank surface and the graveyard of everything filling a shallow ravine about 25 feet below the top of the bank. Everything seemed to be broken from tumbling all that way. Even thick blob tops were broken. Almost got a pontiled umbrella but the neck was broken off. Some nice smashed stuff too with the best broken being an iron pontil ne plus ultra pint fruit jar in dark green aqua! Talk about a crier :( I would still check below though because there could be whole stuff at your site !Johnny M.
This is about 200 ft down at a steep to gradual slope. I've found the most 20 ft from the top and if I stay in direct line, I'll find more sporadically. I just don't know how wide to go and I guess I just keep testing areas. My biggest concern is that there is a 300 year old oak above the main site and I do not want to interfere with it's roots or cause erosion that I kill my favorite tree. Turns out I'm quite a tree hugger if you had found that dark green aqua jar intact, it would have been amazing! Maybe there's one still out there waiting for you!!

Johnny M

Reaction score
This is about 200 ft down at a steep to gradual slope. I've found the most 20 ft from the top and if I stay in direct line, I'll find more sporadically. I just don't know how wide to go and I guess I just keep testing areas. My biggest concern is that there is a 300 year old oak above the main site and I do not want to interfere with it's roots or cause erosion that I kill my favorite tree. Turns out I'm quite a tree hugger if you had found that dark green aqua jar adventurousintact, it would have been amazing! Maybe there's one still out there waiting for you!!
You certainly are a trooper scaling that hill! I'm nature minded as well and an ASPCA member too. I love animals in general and like to leave the woods alone to them. A real shame how we crowd them out of their environments. I used to dig a dump in New Hampshire and had a little chipmunk friend watch me from like 5 feet away on the stone wall when I poked around there. He wasn't afraid at all but I didn't reach for him either. I used to hold up fragments for his perusal and I swear he looked at them! Cute little guy. Fond memories. Johnny M. :)

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Hi Kate2828,
Welcome to our online community! :) ..Dr. Jaynes was from Philadelphia and later merged his business with Riker from NYC. They opened up a turn of the century large chain of drug stores in the northeast and were very successful. For example, even Maine had over 100 at the time. ..Congrats on your find and let me say what is well known but seldom spoken. --There is always an air of expectation when digging that experience tempers into wise decisions as to where to look. Give each site its due. Yours sounds large and probably will get more so as you dig. You could try one spot until it plays out. Be patient and find the borders as you go. ..Also, being from the Constitution State we Connecticuters appreciate anyone who protects a 300+ year old Oak tree. Thanks!:cool: If your site is in a potentially trafficked area don't leave broken glass around. Surface scroungers may get ambitious and tear things up, endangering the tree, themselves, and the site. Good luck and keep the occasional question and pictures coming. Good hunting!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen