Bottle found diving - please help ID it.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ianw

Reaction score
I found this small bottle while diving, and after cleaning it up found that is said on the front:

BRETON
FABRICANT
DE
CARMIN
Bte SGDG
PARIS

It has a seam on both sides that when looked at from above diagonally cuts down through the bottle.

The bottle has curved down shoulders and is 8 sided - with the back and front being the largest sides..

/---------
/
/ kind of like this!
______/

Not a great pic, (I am new to this!)

Thanks for your help!

Ian

Ki18495.jpg

Welcome to Antique-Bottles.Net !! Picture cropped and reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ki18495.jpg
    Ki18495.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 81

Monsonant

Reaction score
BRETON
FABRICANT
DE
CARMIN
Bte SGDG
PARIS
A rough translation would be Carmin Made by Brenton.

I would guess this contained Carmine a red or purplish-red pigment obtained from cochineal (q.v.), a red dyestuff extracted from the dried bodies of certain female scale insects native to tropical and subtropical America. Carmine was used extensively for watercolours and fine coach-body colours before the advent of synthetic colouring materials.

This shape bottle ( its pretty hard to see ) was also used for many French Colognes

Ianw

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for that. Umm... the bottle is otaganal - flattened at front and back, with the writing only on one side. There are 2 small dimples - look like points where the bottle may have been supported while in a semi molten state - in the bottom.

Dunno if any of this info helps!

But happy. Week before last I found a torpedo in great condition, this week this, week after next who knows!

Ian

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1