bottle from auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

odds2ends

Reaction score
It is 7.5" tall, the mouth opening is 1.5". Put water in the jar and then measured it. Up to the shoulder it held about 3.5 cups, a little less. My lovely wife then told me that was wrong, imagine that, and that I should of filled it to the bottom of the applied top. She did that and gained some but did not reach 4 cups which would be a quart. We did that with a liquid measure. Dry measure, if this is a jar, would probably be a quart then. I don't know how they measure these things. Yes, there is a chip on the rim at one of the tabs. We don't know about lettering or embossing. Not as high as another bottle I looked at I guess. Very plainly read though but we don't know these things and that is why we are here. Thank you for your time on this jar. We really appreciate the information you have shared. Very interesting site. Got a PM from a person that said they would give me $40 but I would have to pay the shipping. We declined the offer. I thank you gentlemen for your up front conversations and estimates. We paid $45 for this jar with contents at the estate auction and we are still kicking ourselves in the butt for not buying all the books that were sold off in one lot at the end. They had some very wonderful things that went very reasonable at this auction. Thanks again.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Got a PM from a person that said they would give me $40 but I would have to pay the shipping. We declined the offer.
Good call, I wouldn't think about less that $200 myself ($400 if I collected jars, had one but had to have the cash) and I think a good place like Spurgeon might do that or better. Again, condition is a big factor.I'd rather look for the top myself but it may not be worth it.Anyway, quart it is. They really didn't use those terms at the time of making. It is more of what the collectors call them now.

MNJars

Reaction score
Good call on declining the $40 offer. I know I'd pay more than that, and I don't even collect A. Stone jars. It is very difficult to assign a value given condition and the missing closure.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL