Bottle Jar question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Millertyme

Reaction score
Hi I am new, Happy to join the site. I have dug and also purchased bottles and Mason Jars that have a Rainbow of colors, iridescent effect. Can anyone tell me what the cause of this is? Does it have anything to do with age?

yacorie

Reaction score
From being in the ground usually

Millertyme

Reaction score
Thank you so much! That is probably an indication that the Aqua Mason Jar is quite old. I knew this by rim and markings, yet have always been curious about this. I have many apothecary bottles with this sheen! It is pretty!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah that iridescent sheen is typically a sign that a bottle has been buried for quite some time, I don't often see it on bottles that are much under a century old.

Millertyme

Reaction score
Wow so cool! I previously dug in an old ghost town not far from home. Unfortunately, the land which was owned by the Airport, sold and bulldozed and fenced it off. My boyfriend, who had Cancer, and I discovered it 8 yrs. ago. Was so fun, like our special place to dig, he metal detector, although he did not find much, I dug up alot!! So sad cuz you know those places are everywhere and now developed, makes me sad. We used to love going there. After he passed, I kept going there, until the last 2 yrs.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese