Bottle Netting!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Stony99

Reaction score
What a cool bottle weekend I had last week! I swear, I almost don't have to look for bottles .... it seems bottles look for me.

The past month or so I've been tracking down lots of different old abandon towns and settlements (old saw mill towns and train stops). I found more places to dig than I can shake my hiking stick at!

So, last weekend I decided to take a break from bottle digging. As many people know, the north east USA has gotten lots of rain! Record amounts. So much so, a ditch along my house (where the roof drips) washed out. Laying in the ditch was what I believe is the neck to a fairly old bottle, maybe an old larger medicine. Then I walked around the house a small old brick wall under my outdoor steps was washed out, and behind that was the bottom of an old medicine! Both appear to be older than my house (1909).

That was Friday night. Saturday I decided to go fishing, to a remote area that not too many people fish. While I'm wading down the stream, I look over and see what I thought was a bottle sticking out of the bank .... and sure enough it was! Broken, but a bottle none the less! So I put the fishing gear down and I spend the rest of the day pulling bottles out of the bank. So many, I couldn't carry them all (mostly commons and slicks) so I carefully placed them in my fishing net and carried a net full of bottles back to my bike (I travel by motorcycle) and they all survived the ride home crammed into the motorcycle saddlebags!

SO, since I was TRYING to escape bottle digging for the weekend ..... Unsuccessfully I might add, I decided to go kayaking with a couple friends ..... with my fishing pole to work in the much needed fishing trip I felt I was "owed" from the day before.

Certainly, out in a kayak with only my fishing gear there was no chance of me bottle digging on Sunday! Or so I thought!

Now, bear with me ... I have to set the stage properly! ....... It's all weather related!

It started Friday night when my yard washed out more than it has in past years, and I found two partial old bottles right next to my house. Then Saturday I was fishing a washed out curve of a creek that cut into a bank that reviled a nice cache of old bottles. But Sunday I was thrown a real unexpected curve!

The area my friends wanted to kayak was a "back bay" of the Allegheny Reservoir or the Kinzua Reservoir or Kinzua Lake. When it was built in the mid 1960's it flooded over several towns. The only way to dig most of them is to scuba dive (which I have often done), as all the best, bigger towns are underwater.

But this trip would be much different!

Since the whole center of the USA is experiencing flooding conditions, especially down south, like the Ohio River and the Mississippi, all the upstream reservoirs have been "holding back" and storing water to minimize their outflow.

The Kinzua Reservoir hasn't been this deep since Hurricane Agnes in 1972. It's at it's second deepest level ever. The bay we decided to kayak, between Red Bridge and an old town called Springer was way out of it's banks. So we got to kayak through was is normally woods! A forest that contained a mill and a small settlement, and ironically, a glass factory. I had no idea I would be finding bottles on a kayak/fishing trip!

As it turned out, the flotsam was incredible! It's mind boggling how much debris floats in an area that has not been flooded since 1972!. We paddled through miles and miles of floating debris among trees. Then I spotted my first floating bottle! It was an old Heinz ketchup bottle with some debris in the end like it was corked with peat moss! Floating hight and dry in the flood water! After I found that bottle, I started looking harder and found other bottles and even some floating pieces of bottles. I found a cobalt blue medicine without the neck and a heavy brown medicine that was just the bottom 2/3rds. Both upside down bobbing in the debris field.

Then, in the shallow water near what was now a "shore line" about a mile inland from what was the shoreline, I found a bottle that I can best describe as a "smaller milk". It's green or a little on the blue green side.

And just like the day before I was using my fishing net! This time to scoop bottles out of the water! How often has this ever happened? How many other bottles diggers have gone out in flood area with a net and netted bottles?

I did cover several miles (trolling for fish originally!), but you just gotta wonder if I found some bottles floating in the water, how many are buried in the ground that couldn't float?

NEXT WEEKEND, I'm going to TRY to not dig any bottles! Perhaps I should stay indoors! LOL!

Here are some photos:

bn1.jpg

bn2.jpg

bn3.jpg

bn4.jpg

bn5.jpg

bn6.jpg

bn7.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Cool story and pic's, I thought I was the only one who did things like go fishing on my scoot. I always love the looks I get when I go the wakes on my bike in a suit and tie, that's always priceless...Jim

Stony99

Reaction score
epackage ....... try bottle digging with fishing gear! LOL! Glad I brought a multi-knife with a big blade! The net slung over my shoulder did make a great way to carry a lot of bottles!

Rigged to carry bottles:

463ED1AB2A5248DCA7CAB5B4C8D4E2CD.jpg

Attachments

• 463ED1AB2A5248DCA7CAB5B4C8D4E2CD.jpg
    463ED1AB2A5248DCA7CAB5B4C8D4E2CD.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 68

Stony99

Reaction score
Sorry! Wrong photo!

Here she is with dual "bottle bags" ! LOL!

D09715A1E967452D8FE3C05E25177BB7.jpg

Attachments

• D09715A1E967452D8FE3C05E25177BB7.jpg
    D09715A1E967452D8FE3C05E25177BB7.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 59

epackage

Reaction score
I have had mine filled with bottles but those bottles were full...[;)]

70624B03C1C7418BB9058C494796F2BF.jpg

Attachments

• 70624B03C1C7418BB9058C494796F2BF.jpg
    70624B03C1C7418BB9058C494796F2BF.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 72

Stony99

Reaction score
Oh, and here are the complete bottles I found that day, along with a few leather womans boot pieces. The sole has a very pointed toe that is curled up.

Does anybody know what the greenish blue bottle is (there is more blue in it than the photo shows). It looks like a "small milk" to me.

28E27383F4A54E819D9039958C1F489A.jpg

Attachments

• 28E27383F4A54E819D9039958C1F489A.jpg
    28E27383F4A54E819D9039958C1F489A.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 72

Brains

Reaction score
i have a couple of those green bottles, i call them pickle jars. Why do i call them that? I use the process of elimination to figure out what they are. they aren't soda bottles, so maybe they're jars? They aren't preserve jars...so... maybe they're pickle jars. I have one that i believe to be from the 1880's and another that's around the 1890's.

The flooding is interesting, but i prefer severe droughts- makes the reservoirs dry up and i can go walk around in them. Ever walk around a dried up reservoir? It's more fun than you'd think. I like to act like i'm in the middle of a desert. Of course, the last time i walked a dry reservoir it was cold, so i acted like it was the tundra.

Enjoyed the pictures, that part of the country is really interesting to me. Lots of stuff, Like the Kinzua bridge (that i mention whenever someone brings up that part of Pennsylvania in conversation...)

Stony99

Reaction score
Sounds like you know the area a bit Brains.

Yes, what I was trying to articulate is that what we did was the total opposite of searching when the water is low. I have searched when the water was super low at the Kinzua Reservoir. But only a few of the smaller towns were exposed. Morrison and Corydon to name a few.

The town of Kinzua actually goes back to Indian days. So there is quite the potential for old bottles there. The water over it is so deep, or I should say it's located in such a low pocket, it will never ever be exposed no matter how low the water gets. But it is a great dive site! And being inside the hook of a major point, the bottom changes each year. Covering and uncovering different things every year or so.

The area we kayaked has only been covered in water one other time in history! I was lucky to have noticed that some bottles floated in the debris! When the water recedes, I'm going to search the area to see if there aren't any other obvious bottle dumps that were left exposed.

Literally tons of logs, sticks, twigs and leaves were floated off, or re-arranged, so there is a good chance to find something that somebody may not have seen before.

The "normal" summer pool level for the Kinzua Reservoir is 1328' above sea level. the day we kayaked there the water was at 1342 so it was 14' above normal summer pool.

The area of the woods were were in had between 5' and 10' of water in it on average. What amazed me was that for all the new rain and all the disturbing of the ground and debris, the water was unbelievably clear! We could see the bottom at 10'!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973