Bottle Netting!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kastoo

Reaction score
Nice bike! I hate these new ones

ORIGINAL: Stony99

Sorry! Wrong photo!

Here she is with dual "bottle bags" ! LOL!

D09715A1E967452D8FE3C05E25177BB7.jpg

kastoo

Reaction score
If ya seen a bunch of bottles floating and had a way to GPS ya could mark the spo!

Stony99

Reaction score
Let me address a few things.

Bottlebob: "Glad you kept bottles in mind in your attempt to forget them".

Well, I dug bottles for three weekends straight and was trying to take a break from bottle digging, I was not trying to forget about bottles! LOL! And what could I do when I found myself in a floating field of bottles? I had to quit fishing (second day in a row!) to scoop bottles! LOL

epackage- very cool bike! I downsized last year! Sold my 750 four cylinder and specifically looked for a smaller bike with one thing in mind- gas mileage! This bike gets about the highest gas mileage for the horsepower it gets. I can routinely get in the mid 60's for mileage and I believe I can push it up to 70 miles per gallon or more on a longer trip. But around town and doing some highway travel I can get 65 miles per gallon!

I prefer to find bottles out in old abandon towns, settlements, railroad stops, and mill sites. And there are a lot around here. I like to explore new areas and find spots that were never found or dug before, so having a vehicle that gets high gas mileage is very important to me. I don't own a car.

Kastoo, the bike is a 1981! When I got it, it was garage kept all it's life and had under 20K on it ... a very lucky find. The saddle bags allow me to carry bottles on one side and my folding army shovel, and a couple hand tools on the other. And there is enough room for a helper or fellow digger. (FEMALE helper or digger!) LOL!

If ya seen a bunch of bottles floating and had a way to GPS ya could mark the spot!

Well I can pin point the spot exactly! I can go right to the spot again anytime I want. But keep in mind this is a big bay that covers a couple settlements and God only knows where the bottles drifted to this area from! Maybe they came from upstream or perhaps from the other side of the bay and pushed here by the wind (there was a cross-bay gale force wind that day!). I do have a pretty good idea where they might have come from. But I will have to wait for the water to go back down and it don't look like that will happen any time soon. It went down for a few days, but is now coming back up again.

But I may canoe it this weekend with a friend to see if we can net a few more bottles!

I never in my wildest dreams thought netting bottles from a boat could be a variation of "bottle digging"! LOL!

Stony99

Reaction score
Wow! With all the rain we are getting this week, it looks like the area I found the floating bottles will be flooded just as deep as it was last week, if not deeper!

I hope to be out there again Saturday, and the only fishing equipment I bring with might be my fishing net! This may be a trip dedicated to cruising through the flotsam looking for bottles!

Kastoo, here is how I document my finds or mark areas I plan to return to .... It's foolproof. I'm old school and prefer marking on a map or aerial photo over GPS coords.

10A32AE009584C9DB0616A1634E650A6.jpg

Attachments

• 10A32AE009584C9DB0616A1634E650A6.jpg
    10A32AE009584C9DB0616A1634E650A6.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Stony99

Oh, and here are the complete bottles I found that day, along with a few leather womans boot pieces. The sole has a very pointed toe that is curled up.

Does anybody know what the greenish blue bottle is (there is more blue in it than the photo shows). It looks like a "small milk" to me.

28E27383F4A54E819D9039958C1F489A.jpg

Thats a pretty old food bottle. I see them from 1880's to 1910 and abm ones after that. Nice outing.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973