BOTTLE QUESTION.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Paa Paw

Reaction score
Hello, This bottle is pale blue 5 1/4" tall Has DR JAYNE'S TONIC VERMIFUGE 242 CHESI ST PHIL_A I has a square with a o in the center on the base..What was it.? Can anyone tell me how old and is it worth anything ?
bottles008.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well, from what I gather, vermifuges were medicines used in treating and expelling intestinal worms. Lovely, eh? It appears to have a Kork N' Seal style closure, which would place it in my mind at 1915-1925ish, though someone else should be able to narrow that down. Since people seemed to be full of parisites back in the day, they made millions of these bottles over time, and a Jayne's Vermifuge isn't really valuable unless it is pontiled, and even then they are very common as far as pontils go. Still, it is one of the coolest of the more common medicines, and worth having around.

From this website I took the info below for you to look over: http://www.sha.org/bottle/closures.htm

"The Kork-N-Seal cap was in use from at least 1911 to at least the 1960s, though could still be in use today (IGCo. 1911; Jones & Sullivan 1989). Based on empirical observations, the popular period for this closure - and the most likely date range for a bottle with it - was from the mid 1910s to the 1940s. Bottles utilizing this closure are, in the experience of the website author, always machine-made, though with an origin no later than 1911, mouth-blown examples are possible."

Good luck digging and/or searching for more old bottles!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles