BOTTLE W/ GREAT STORY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

HAKZAW1

Reaction score
More...,

4DB9412F970E40FA9A5969FB24D6BB8A.jpg

Attachments

• 4DB9412F970E40FA9A5969FB24D6BB8A.jpg
    4DB9412F970E40FA9A5969FB24D6BB8A.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 61

marjorie040

Reaction score
Hi HAKZAW1,
My guess would have been Pepper Sauce. I saw similar bottles in my books but none over 10" however.
Incidently, I live near Charleston, SC where the USS Yorktown is located. If I can be of any help to you to unravel the bottles' story, I'd be gald to assist.
Regards,

hj

Reaction score
Hi Hakzaw1,

I do not know what you already have on him, but here goes a quick background.

Thomas Vernon Wellsley
Born August 11, 1902 around Baltimore MD
Died March 7, 1950 San Diego, CA
Burial Ft Rosecrans National Cemetery in California
Wife Viola Blythe Wellsly

Master Sergeant, US Army Air Corps
POW served at Tokyo POW Camp (Shinjuku) Tokyo Bay Area 35-140
Status listed as Returned to Military Control, Liberated or Repatriated

This was scraped together quickly, don't take any of it as gospel. If you have any questions let me know. Did Army Air Corps soldiers serve on Naval vessels??

Regards,
HJ

HAKZAW1

Reaction score
thanks marj, after what i have learned so far i think this bottle is too old to have been used at end of WWII and it looks like it has never been in the water, so nice story but....If i found out that these were on board the Yorktown, with pickles, pepper sauce or whatever that would be a good sign, but.. I think it( the silk w/names) DID come off the York. but was never a message in the bottle, at least not this one. Is there a Yorktown museum where you live? maybe the owner would want to donate it instead of putting it on ebay.

HAKZAW1

Reaction score
HJ you are 'super' ==Just in case you are interested here are the other 5 names. I did not get hits on two of them. I think they were all pows that were known by the 'pennants' makers(crewmen of the Yorktown) as opposed to serving on the Yorktown. It reads from:yorktown .To: pow camp . Navy--H B sherry lt. Comd, V N Bairey, mach. mate--N.S. Tattrie mach. mate-- G C Michels,elec.mate--- Army-- J W Britton, 28th Bomb F.E.A.F.Mr. Sgt.---thanks,,,,, hakzaw1

hj

Reaction score
Harmon B Sherry
Verne Nicholas Bairey
Norman Sidney Tattrie
Glen Eugene Michels (I donot have a GC)
all served at area 35-140 with Wellsly.

John W Britton served close by at Tokyo Bay Area 35-139

If you need any more background, feel free to let me know.

HJ

Terry Ferl

Reaction score
The soldier referred to is my grandfather: Thomas Vernon Wyllsey. We have just now come across these postings. Can you tell me what happened to the silk parachute with my POW grandfather's name inscribed on it? Did you follow this up? Did it by chance ever get to the Yorktown ship museum? I could probably just contact them, but I wanted to check in with you first as the original source in this exchange.

Many thanks, and hoping to hear from you!

Terry Ferl
Saint Louis, Mo.
terryferl@charter.net (if you wish to contact me by email directly)

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Terry,

The original poster, of this single thread, may not check in here regularly, if at all. You might try and e-mail him, assuming his address is still valid. We've not heard from him since the creation of this thread. Good luck.

g204747a.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter