Bottles found in fill-dirt

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kong

Reaction score
Hi all, new here and new to bottles. My father-in-law is an excavating contractor and I saw some bottles in a pile of fill dirt that is on his property. I dug some out and thought it might be the start of a cool collection. I'll attach a couple pics. I would love to hear if I have anything interesting. I also have some soda and ketchup bottles that I will clean up a bit and will post those pics to this thread. Does anything here look interesting? I'd be happy to take more detailed photos if anyone wants to see something in particular. Here is a partial listing of what I've found[ul][*]2 small cobalt blue bromo seltzer bottles[*]1 C&Co 7oz bottle[*]1 small listerine bottle[*]Hires Household Extract Philadelphia USA[*]Dr D Jayne & Son - Philadelphia PA[*]3ii Graduated bottle[*]large cobalt blue bottle marked 6 on bottom[*]HOUBIGANT PARIS perfume bottle[/ul]

botlguy

Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be anything of major interest there as far as monetary value but you have a good start on a collection. I say learn all you can about what you have and if the interest remains keep on rolling. What I see is general household trash from the first half of the 20th century. Anything with embossing (raised lettering) can be researched, the others are generic and just "stuff". Keep what you like and discard the rest. Jim

Kong

Reaction score
botlguy said:
There doesn't appear to be anything of major interest there as far as monetary value but you have a good start on a collection. I say learn all you can about what you have and if the interest remains keep on rolling. What I see is general household trash from the first half of the 20th century. Anything with embossing (raised lettering) can be researched, the others are generic and just "stuff". Keep what you like and discard the rest. Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply, I didn't think there was any real treasure here, but I think they look cool on my shelf. I'll have to keep my eye out and maybe I'll find something worth posting.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
if you can dig the rest of the dirt, and ask your dad if he knows where it came from, there is a chance that there is some good bottles that have not been found yet.....go for it if you can

Kong

Reaction score
I have an aunt that lives in a house that dates back to 1850 or something. It is a farm. I'm going to ask her if she knows where the privy may be and if it has ever been excavated. Could be something interesting there, it is in Bucks County PA near Washington's Crossing park.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles