Bottles from a distant land ...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SAbottles

Reaction score
Two Ginger Beers from the city of diamonds - Kimberley; the one on the left shows Cecil Rhodes - the right is Patrick Sullivan (of Sullivan's Ginger Beer)

SA25.jpg
[/IMG]

Another GB - this time from the City of Gold ! :

SA24.jpg
[/IMG]

SAbottles

Reaction score
We don't have a great number of local Pot Lids, but some of them are quite attractive. First two Tooth Paste lids

SA18.jpg
[/IMG]

SA17.jpg
[/IMG]

and a nice little Cape Town one for Corns (which has its directions for use printed inside the lid)

SA16.jpg
[/IMG]

SAbottles

Reaction score
Lastly, these bottles, while fairly ordinary slicks, are very significant historically and personally;

SA23.jpg
[/IMG]

They come from the Glencairn Glass factory, which only ran from 1902 to 1905; this is the only surviving photograph of the factory:

SA28.jpg
[/IMG]

A very useful little book was brought out on the factory, its history and rediscovery:

SA29.jpg
[/IMG]

SAbottles

Reaction score
And why significant to me ? Well this is the view across the valley from my lounge window. The arrow shows where the remains of the factory are still to be seen -

SA30.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a photo showing some of the bottles produced; I have marked those in the previous photo of two "Pop" bottles and a small brandy flask :

SA27.jpg
[/IMG]

and lastly a shot from the book, taken during the excavations:

SA31.jpg
[/IMG]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That is some great stuff Dale. I just recently got into SA history. Of coarse I remember Mandela's release but I was a bit young for the boycotts and certainly the Zulu wars but I've been seeing a lot of stuff on the teli lately. Maybe because it's black history month here in the U.S.? During Feb Shaka Zulu and a bunch of other stuff is being rebroadcast and/or made.

I'm not going political, I just find it fascinating.

SAbottles

Reaction score
Gosh, Cows ~ I'm glad to hear you weren't around during the Zulu Wars !! I know you're a bit long in the tooth [;)] but not that much so !

Unless you're referring to the 1990s period, when the Zulus (IFP) and the Xhosas (ANC) killed each other in Kwa Zulu Natal with great relish ! [:mad:][:mad:]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
No, not that one, I'll have to get more info for that because I need to the refresh of memory. I knew after Mendela's release a lot went on but have forgotten a lot too. I wasn't in the thick of it though, we got headlines etc. when we were paying attention. I do have a release clipping that I kept but that was a couple paragraphs at best. I'll bet yours was full front page news.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960