Bottles on the roof? Or bats in the belfry?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi VaChick,

Not a lot you can do with cracked bottles, except position them on your shelf to obscure the damage as best as possible. Check this discussion out https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/fb.asp?m=12463&key=

VaChick

Reaction score
Alan, thanks for the link -- I know someone who is learning to blow glass -- after reading the link, I definitely won't ask him to experiment!

I guess I could still take up stained glass or mosiacs, most of these bottles are cracked all around. . .

Actually, for the few that did survive, the color is wonderful. Here's one I just washed that isn't broken. . . .

So putting them on the roof can be worth it!

vachick

Pn36097.jpg

Attachments

• Pn36097.jpg
    Pn36097.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 74

KentOhio

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. Too many of them will break. Roofs get incredibly hot during the day, and then a sudden rain shower cools them off, and BAM! Cracks.

sodabottle

Reaction score
would using a heat lamp make clear bottle change the color or does it have to be out in the sun

KentOhio

Reaction score
It needs to be ultraviolet radiation, which could be sun, or also a black light. Interestingly enough, heat actually makes them less purple and more clear. They say putting a purpled bottle in the oven will turn it clear again.

Tony14

Reaction score
Well since you said that I might have to buy a black light to color some of my more common bottles. Thanks for the tip Kent.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
KENT is correct. Years ago many peeps did that...You have to enclose the bottle & UV light together, inside some type of box...and just leave it until any changes occur.

sodabottle

Reaction score
Hey Does Any one Know if there is any thing other than a black light and the sun that you could use to chage color?

How long does it take for the bottle to change under a black light or the sun

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey