Hello ! A few bottles I've picked up in thrift stores over the last 10 years or so, dating help please ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Calico1

Reaction score
I've gathered old bottles since I was a child, my brother and I would dig together here in Massachusetts. Flash forward 50+ years and I still take home the odd one in thrift stores and flea markets, never more than a few dollars, I'm a cheap Yankee. These bottles have been acquired over the last 10 years, my digging days are long over. I keep them for the crudeness and colors in my windows but I don't have the vast knowledge that's found in this Forum.
I'm thinking maybe a few Stoddards or at least old New England Glass for the PATENT flask and the ale/beer bottle ? The others are a few unknowns but the light yellow/green one I was thinking maybe was wicker covered at one point ?
I'll leave the rest for you experts to figure out the age and possibly purpose. There are enlarged detailed photos when the thumbnails are clicked but please excuse my photography skills, although the colors are accurate. I will add a bottle with pics as a response.
#1 Black glass flask embossed 'PATENT' on the shoulder, lots of whittling and tiny sead bubbles. 6+1/4" high.

Attachments

• blackglass5.jpg
    blackglass5.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 90
  • blackglass6.jpg
    blackglass6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 95
  • blackglass7.jpg
    blackglass7.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 90
  • blackglass8.jpg
    blackglass8.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 95
  • blackglass9.jpg
    blackglass9.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 88

Calico1

Reaction score
#2 Black glass ale/beer extremely crude, my favorite. 6+1/2" high no markings.

Attachments

• blackglass.jpg
    blackglass.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 84
  • blackglass1.jpg
    blackglass1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 80
  • blackglass2.jpg
    blackglass2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 79
  • blackglass3.jpg
    blackglass3.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 78
  • blackglass4.jpg
    blackglass4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 74

Calico1

Reaction score
#3Aqua rounded flask. I think the stopper is original. Mold seam stops at base of neck. 8+3/4" high.

Attachments

• aqua1.jpg
    aqua1.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 80
  • aqua2.jpg
    aqua2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 83
  • aqua3.jpg
    aqua3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 78
  • aqua4.jpg
    aqua4.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 79
  • aqua5.jpg
    aqua5.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 84

Calico1

Reaction score
Very heavy dark brown rounded flask. Lots of whittling in the sun. 8+1/4" high. Mold seam stops at base of neck. Not sure what the lip style is called.

Attachments

• blackglass10.jpg
    blackglass10.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 79
  • blackglass11.jpg
    blackglass11.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 77
  • blackglass12.jpg
    blackglass12.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 81
  • blackglass14.jpg
    blackglass14.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 77
  • blackglass15.jpg
    blackglass15.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 81

Calico1

Reaction score
Thank you for any and all help and info you can share on any of these.

Skoda

Reaction score
Very nice finds you have there! I'm not great with flasks so I'll leave someone else to comment on that one. The blackglass ale looks VERY Stoddard to me and I'd be surprised if it wasn't blown there. The aqua demijohn is real nice with that iron pontil, likely 1840's-early 1870's on that one; that stopper did not go with it and went to a decades newer Lea & Perrins sauce bottle. The forth one is often called a "chestnut" flask and is probably European, and if so I'd wager it's 1880's-1900's. The lip finish on it is called a "champagne". Amazing color on that citron demijohn, also! Given your location and it's color it is very possible that it came out of the Lyndeborough NH glasshouse, but with no markings it's not easy to say. It very likely had a wicker covering at one point and probably dates to the late 1860s'-1870's.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The squat ale is almost certainly stoddard with that pontil. the two patent flasks are new england, harder to nail down but probably also stoddard. Those and the aqua pontiled bottle are all in the roughly 1850-1870 range, leaning more towards civil war or pre... Age was what you were looking for. I'd put the citronish demijohn 1870 plus or minus, slightly newer but GREAT color.

jim G

Calico1

Reaction score
Very nice finds you have there! I'm not great with flasks so I'll leave someone else to comment on that one. The blackglass ale looks VERY Stoddard to me and I'd be surprised if it wasn't blown there. The aqua demijohn is real nice with that iron pontil, likely 1840's-early 1870's on that one; that stopper did not go with it and went to a decades newer Lea & Perrins sauce bottle. The forth one is often called a "chestnut" flask and is probably European, and if so I'd wager it's 1880's-1900's. The lip finish on it is called a "champagne". Amazing color on that citron demijohn, also! Given your location and it's color it is very possible that it came out of the Lyndeborough NH glasshouse, but with no markings it's not easy to say. It very likely had a wicker covering at one point and probably dates to the late 1860s'-1870's.
Thank you for your help. Great info on the stopper, I found the bottle with it intact so I'll keep them together. I'll have to look more closely at Lyndeborough Glasshouse, and I agree, the color is amazing.
Thanks again !

Calico1

Reaction score
The squat ale is almost certainly stoddard with that pontil. the two patent flasks are new england, harder to nail down but probably also stoddard. Those and the aqua pontiled bottle are all in the roughly 1850-1870 range, leaning more towards civil war or pre... Age was what you were looking for. I'd put the citronish demijohn 1870 plus or minus, slightly newer but GREAT color.

jim G
Thank you ! It's been so long since I was actively researching the basics that I forgot everything I used to know. It's nice to know my Old Glass Instinct is still there although I second guess myself a lot. I have a couple more I'm still not sure of, maybe I'll post a new thread for those at a later date.
Thank you again.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen