Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Bought today at an antique store. 1 quart amber whiskey bottle

cowsgomoo

Oct 11, 2020
Maryland
I was intrigued this had no makers mark on it. Looks like an applied double ring finish that is incomplete on the second ring. The interior of the bottle is not uniform and in the pictures the original mold blown top is visible in a cracked part the applied finish went over. It doesn’t have any major issues with it and does have some crazing along the top that goes down below the lip and a little below the end of the mold line. Still new to this hobby so any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

cowsgomoo

Oct 11, 2020
Maryland
This is a hand made bottle using a hinge mold with an applied lip. Not exactly sure what this blob is called, but it is a nice looking bottle. Oh, and it is a whiskey flask.
What makes this a hinge mold and not a post bottom mold? I’m also intrigued that the base is off center...is that why it’s hinged? It’s about an inch on the short side and the other side is noticeably longer.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Aug 22, 2012
Show Me State (Missouri)
What makes this a hinge mold and not a post bottom mold? I’m also intrigued that the base is off center...is that why it’s hinged? It’s about an inch on the short side and the other side is noticeably longer.
On a hinge mold the seam comes across the middle not around the heel. Not sure why the indent is off center. I forget what this is called, but some will refer to it as an iron pontil and I am pretty sure that is incorrect. If I have given incorrect information I hope some of the other will correct or fill in the blanks. Also I believe these quart size are more difficult to find than the smaller size. You might go look at this web site for more (better?) information. https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm

cowsgomoo

Oct 11, 2020
Maryland
On a hinge mold the seam comes across the middle not around the heel. Not sure why the indent is off center. I forget what this is called, but some will refer to it as an iron pontil and I am pretty sure that is incorrect. If I have given incorrect information I hope some of the other will correct or fill in the blanks. Also I believe these quart size are more difficult to find than the smaller size. You might go look at this web site for more (better?) information. https://sha.org/bottle/index.htm
I have about 20 tabs open there lol. It is a great resource and I have tried to use their dating page but my general inexperience with the small differences in types of bases and tops always leads me to date it incorrectly when I come across pre-crown bottles.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Constructor56