Branching out from my Paterson bottles ??????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I am considering keeping these 5 bottles from Newark NJ just because they are all with their original wire bails and porcelain stoppers and I love the fact that all 5 are different colors, I know it's hard to see slight variations on a pic and even more so because of different computer monitors but here are 2 different shots with the one on the window sill showing the colors the best I think....I still have to go thru the rest of the bottles but these are the main variations and I may just keep them and put them in the window for display, even thought they aren't from Paterson......Jim

Left to right on window sill; Aqua, Greenish Blue, Light Aqua, Clear, Green Swirl(strapside)

hens2.jpg
[/IMG]

hens3.jpg
[/IMG]

Lordbud

Reaction score
Funny they'd used crowntop bottles with a stopper/wire-bail closure.

epackage

Reaction score
All 6 cases the same thing LB, I'm not sure why this was done unless they had all these left over porcelain closures and figured better to use them instead of tossing them in the garbage....I may not be keeping these bottles as I have someone interested in them because the name on them is that of a friend they are looking to get a present for, they actually found out about the bottles doing a Google search and saw my post here and e-mailed me about them, I will keep you guys and gals up to date.....Jim

Jim

Reaction score
Nice bottles, Jim. I have a local BIM crown top bottle with a wire bail closure as well. It piqued my curiosity, so I did some research. The best explanation is that when the bottle manufacturers began switching over to crown tops, the older blob tops were no longer available. Many small bottlers either could not afford or did not want to throw out their entire stock of bottles. When they ordered a new batch of bottles and got the new crown tops, they used them right along with their blobs, employing the same closure rather than dealing with two different types.

With each subsequent order of replacement bottles, there would be more crowns and less blobs. When most of the old blob top bottles were gone, the bottler would then take the last of them out of service and finally make the switch to crown caps. ~Jim

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It was also most likely part of the marketing strategy the crown hucksters used.. that it was a multi-role finish.. the first time I saw the stopper-on-crown, I wigged.. but since then I've seen quite a few..I'll tell you what I am really looking forward to seeing one day is a CROWN HUTCH !! [8D]

Jim

Reaction score
You're in luck, Charlie. The recent line of vintage-style Coke bottles included a hutch-shaped bottle with a modern crown top [8D] ~Jim

Ohio Rob

Reaction score
I'm putting a road block up at the Ohio border [:D].

Nice bottles, I would keep them too- I'm a sucker for multi-color variations. Hey, does this mean I have to go through my collection looking for Newark stuff?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4