Bud vase ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Found this the other day, Oz-riley thinks it's a bud vase and I'd say he's probably right.
It's about three inches tall, bisque (sp? non-glazed) with the ladys face embossed very boldly on the front, no makers mark of any sort.
It was the only thing I got [:mad:] but it's a nice little "thing" to find.

Ec89910.jpg

The rust stains will clean off but it will take ages, I just put this photo of it up before it get's lost in the lab/workshop for months [:D] .

Attachments

• Ec89910.jpg
    Ec89910.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 120

deepwoods

Reaction score
Irish - Nice find - it certainly has that "ancient" look to it. Is muriatic acid too harsh for bisque? Ive seen it get off rust in a few days. Cheers.

IRISH

Reaction score
I don't like to use Hydrochloric Acid (muriatic acid) for any stoneware, it's just too hard to get out. The item above had been in a 10% Phosphoric Acid solution for a few days before I took it's photo, it will take a while in this treatment followed by a few months soaking in pure water (changed a few times a week, if I remember to change it [8|] ) to get all the acid out.

Monsonant

Reaction score
Irish , A most unusual item . Pardon me while I think out load here .... 3 " is a bit shallow , even for a bud vase. Vases seldom have handles, those do look like handles to me and not part of the design. Two handles are often placed on items that were meant to sit on a table so it could be accessed from both sides . Items with handles usually have a spout or pouring lip unless they were made to hold something like Jam or mustard but bisque (being unglazed) would not likely contain any type liquid because it would absorb it ...... that leaves a dry substance like sugar but sugar (and well as Jam & mustard etc ) would usually have a cover. . A couple questions ....Does it look like it would take a cover Does it have a pouring lip , Are the handle centered or offset ? d.e.a.

IRISH

Reaction score
I don't think it ever had a cover as it's a little bit wonky and uneven around the lip, there is no spout of any sort. The handles do appear to be real handles but a bit small to hang onto [;)] they are in the center.
Sorry about the lack of photo quality but here is a side veiw

Mj24354.jpg

Attachments

• Mj24354.jpg
    Mj24354.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 107

Monsonant

Reaction score
If the handles were off centered toward the rear I would guess wall pocket . The only other idea I can come up with is that it may have hung on a ribbon or twine that attached to the handles . Bisque was cheap stuff so maybe this may be some sort of a carnival consolation prize , Or maybe a candy container .... or a ......... I give up . d.e.a.

wheelnuts

Reaction score
Now I know what mine is? Its a maybe Bud Vase. Although mine is exactly the same shape its green with a white face. Dug in a 1910 tip. I can't tell you where, oh alright it was the old Marrickville Tip.
Always wondered what it was.

mibottles

Reaction score
I don't like to use Hydrochloric Acid (muriatic acid) for any stoneware, it's just too hard to get out. The item above had been in a 10% Phosphoric Acid solution for a few days before I took it's photo, it will take a while in this treatment followed by a few months soaking in pure water (changed a few times a week, if I remember to change it ) to get all the acid out.

Why not soak the object in a basic solution after the acid treatment? Seems like one could use lime or baking soda to better neutralize the acid...

Chris Woods
Historic Glasshouse

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi mibottles, welcome to the forum.
Hydrochloric Acid gets into the stoneware deeper than the baking soda solution and would take months to neutralize it all (depending on the stoneware), it also gasses a lot where Phosphoric will do it's job then mostly soak out in the water bath then slowly reacts to a weak solution of Sodium Carbonate if it's needed. A big problem after soaking in Soda is getting the salt out of the item if left in it will slowly crystalize and destroy the item, this is why some things treated years ago start flakeing glaze or going powdery.

Hydrochloric can also do some nasty things with various Oxide crud than can get into stone and create worse stains that you will never get out (I've been there done that [:eek:] ).
I can strongly recommend that people only use Hydrochloric Acid on things it cannot soak into ie= glass [:D] .

Hey wheelnuts, any chance of a photo of your one ? Should Travis, Anton etc. and I go pay a visit to Marrickville ? [:D] [:D] .

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn