Modern mentality?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Blackglass

Reaction score
Hi guys, I haven't been on for a while, but something happened today which pushed me into making this thread.

Wanting to kill some time, I decided to stop into a new antique store today. I said good-morning to the owner and looked around for a bit. I was with my brother, and we were chatting and commenting on items and whatever. I picked up a rather unusual looking mineral specimen, and commmented "Well, this is cool". All of a sudden, the owner walks over like an absolute ape a says, "Alright, no questions, get out of my store and never come back!". I'm a little shocked and confused, but I kindly complied, it's his store. He then follows me out and the a*****e forces me to give him my full name, and then says he's going to basically file a police order restraining me from entering his place. I have no idea what the **** this guys issue is, as if I'd ever want to go into that place again after being ejected for no apparent reason. I know this is my side of the story, and a lot of times people will say "I wasn't doin' nothin'!" when they are obviously guilty, but I'm dead serious, I did absolutely nothing! Ziltch! On top of that, my dad went in later to ask what the hell happened, and he lied to his face! He accused me of "Throwing things around like there were nothing, and knocking stuff over", neither of which I did. The only thing that he could possibly go off of is that a small toy car rolled off a shelf after I put it back and landed on the shelf a foot under it, undamaged, no harm done at all. But give me a ****ing break! I've seen grown men go as far as breaking an item in an antique store and just walking away from it! I'm now kicking myself over giving him my name. That is just utter crap and I should have not been an idiot and just denied to answer. Just a heat of a moment thing...

This isn't the first time I've been harassed by an antique store owner because of my age, but this experience went way over the top! I've had antique dealers follow me around the store, pretending to be fixing shelfs. It's quite hilarious, actually. I've never been kicked out before, though. I don't really understand certain dealers, I've been to 3 bottle shows and have never been harassed, but I get it quite often at general antique stores, especially ones I've never been in before.

Do any of you younger collectors, like me, get flak from antique stores because of your age? Did any of you adults get the same when you were younger, or is it just me and modern "What If" people? Why are antique dealers so different from bottle collectors? I mean, they both what the hobby and/or business to be prosperous, so why do some antique shop owners think it's a good idea to scare away younger audiences?

``Michael

Road Dog

Reaction score
Yeah , it's funny how the older crowd treats the young collectors. I got alot of that in my youth (started 9 years old) the 20's and 30's were not much different. Read up on stuff you are into and dazzle them with your knowledge. Now that I'm nearing 50 I don't get the treatment from older crowd. I guess now I better fit their idea of how old a collector should be. I think all of us that started young have been thru this. Be patient.[;)]

flasherr

Reaction score
How old are you? Different people have different ways of handling things. I would have told him to call the cops if he wont tell you what you did. acting like that he wont stay in business. but as to look from owners side he might have had kids come in and tear stuff up with no regards to his property. Look around the big chain stores people playing with stuff and breaking things and walking off kids and adults. Im not taking his his side and he should have handled it in a different way.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Sounds like the guy is a total jerk.. I never had anything like that happen to me, and I've been an antique store patron since I was 8 years old.. of course, I never re-shelved anything the fast way like you did.. [;)]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hard not to, but hopefully you won't take it too personal....We've all had bewildering experiences with seemingly COMPLETE jerks. Just too hard to tell what goes on in somefolks minds.
m8.gif
... Hang tough!

epackage

Reaction score
I'd torch the place and burn it to the ground, but that's just how I roll...

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I agree with flasherr some kids may have given him a hard time before and maybe your tone was loud to where you sounded not genuine,I think this is likely what happened.......or maybe you looked like Borat to him [8D][:D].... http://www.yourdailymedia.com/video/watch/5366/

65A91BC47BF944DD9F57A72032C0E05E.jpg

Attachments

• 65A91BC47BF944DD9F57A72032C0E05E.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 77

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

I agree with flasherr some kids may have given him a hard time before and maybe your tone was loud to where you sounded not genuine,I think this is likely what happened.......or maybe you looked like Borat to him [8D][:D].... http://www.yourdailymedia.com/video/watch/5366/

LOL freakin steve

What I would have done was give him my Birth name Johnny Smash. Then I would have said nice store front windows you got there pops.

Then I would have brought my pet to visit his store.

DD06FA8EBF5E43CCA05C108C874B2F16.jpg

Attachments

• DD06FA8EBF5E43CCA05C108C874B2F16.jpg
    DD06FA8EBF5E43CCA05C108C874B2F16.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 67

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Don't sweat it too much Michael. I know it can be frustrating tho. Like Brian said, he may have had some bad experiences with some people, but that's still no way to treat people. That kind of business sure won't get you far.

It's a small percent of folks that act that way, but there's always a bad apple or two that can make a sour impact. Don't let it get to ya man [;)]

~Tim

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn