building a tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Re: RE: building a tumbler

Hello Andy, Thank you for your reply, I did a lot of research on this motor, It is designed to run 24 hours a day for a commercial large sewing machine. It is 550 watt 3/4 hp. The variable speed control is what I was looking for so I could save money and maintenance on multiple belts,bearings,ect... I don't plan on tumbling more than 3 or 4 bottles at a time. I hope my research will pay off with this motor. I was going to buy a 1/2 hp. @ 400 watt motor and thought better go to the larger 550 watt 3/4 hp. for 10.00 more. I should have it up and running in about a week or so and I will post a picture. I have a member who lives close by who is going to assist me in the proper technique of tumbling. Thanks again, Kevin..

andy volkerts

Reaction score

Hello Kevin. That detail about your motor lets me know that it should work quite well. Usually a speed control uses resistance to slow or speed up a motor, but if it as industrial as you say it should work ok without putting off excess heat....and 3/4 horsepower will power far more bottles than what you are going to do, so you should have a bit of expansion if you need it best of luck on this project, tumbling your own bottles is like digging, it is exciting, and making a cruddy bottle almost like new is rewarding, just don't overclean your bottles, as they will lose a lot of there charm if you do. experiment, you will learn it ok, fascinating part of our hobby, that if done correctly will always serve you well.........

lblackvelvet

Reaction score

Thanks so much Andy, My method I use now works well for me, But it takes up a lot of my free time. I am sure when I complete my tumbler I will be asking more questions. It is nice to know people like you are willing to add your expertise to educate people who are just learning the tumbling process. Thanks again for all your help! Kevin..

buzzkutt033

Reaction score

good luck in your venture. keep the rpm speed between 60 and 80. higher for roundbottles and lower for rectangular meds. takes some time to get used to the ins and outs oftumbling. start with lower level bottles to get your feet wet. keep us posted !!! jim

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello Andy, I received my motor today for my tumbler we talked about. It is larger than I expected! It is fully wired with a fused switch and all mounting hardware included. I ran it today for two hours with zero heat gain on motor housing. The variable speed goes from 0- 3450 rpm's. It also has a reverse direction switch that I think I will use to rotate the bottle direction every now and then to maybe clean embossing better as the copper and polish will impact different areas of the bottle by reversing direction, I hope!!!! I am sending a picture of the motor and will add more pic's when my rollers get here. Thanks, Kevin..

Attachments

• ed0bfc6571564d6c97ef86cdad782677.jpg
    ed0bfc6571564d6c97ef86cdad782677.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 88

chosi

Reaction score
Good luck with your new motor. Just for the record though - reversing direction is important, but you don't need a reversable motor to do that. You can simply flip the canister over.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Chosi, I have been researching tumbling and not once did any one mention reversing the direction! It just made sense to me that it would work better. I wish you could have received the Lynchburg Portner bottle, I have not been able to send PM's for several Days as I tried to reach you first. Thanks, Kevin.....

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, Here is an update on my progress today, Didn't get rollers as I hoped. Built table, mounted motor and drive system and ran for a couple hours to be sure all was good. Thanks, Kevin...

Attachments

• 2082c365481a4c1fa2844031965ebe52.jpg
    2082c365481a4c1fa2844031965ebe52.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 92

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello All, Just finish making my first set of stopples, Turned out good for my first try. Now as long as they hold up? Please add any advise if you see something I could have done better. If I would have had to buy the materials for both stopples, It would have been $8.00 each. Thanks, Kevin... By the way I found clear PVC on line for $92.00 for 8'. I am trying white sch. 40 first, It's free for me.

Attachments

• 323e6c2b633c4ad1adb7cdb6ab1c384e.jpg
    323e6c2b633c4ad1adb7cdb6ab1c384e.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 99

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Another picture. Thanks for any added information.

Attachments

• b609a504d1f748ee969defefd9d73cbe.jpg
    b609a504d1f748ee969defefd9d73cbe.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 92

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter