C.C. Nelson & Co. St. Catharines

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Another one from the $12 box I bought. I think it's a blown bottle, but there's no pontil. It seems to be a "blob top," is that good? On the bottom it says Hamilton Glass Works. All around the part where the neck meets the topit has really long bubbles.
I almost didn't buy it, thinking it was a beer (which I want to stop collecting.) But it looks so old and cool, I had to have it.
Hopefully it's worth more than my Bromo Seltzer...[:)]

Bottles R Us

Attachments

• E184820F274C47D7B8E993211F3BB664.jpg
    E184820F274C47D7B8E993211F3BB664.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 60

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome, St. Catharines was famous for mineral water and Hamilton Glass Works was in Ontario. The Nelson name and crossed swords or whatever they are look good. The damage and stain is going to hurt it.
I'm not familiar with Canadian bottles but it seams a rarer form for up there. It's popular here in the states.
It may be worth a cleaning and repair.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
PS: There are Canadian collectors here but if you google "canada antique bottles" you might find a club near you.

Bottles R Us

Reaction score
Hi, is that staining? I haven't washed it yet, it's really dusty. I think most of the stuff on it is just dirt, I got it from a lady who dug it in her backyard.

Bottles R Us

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
I can tell you one thing about pontils- If there is embossing on the bottom, it is for sure not a pontil. Otherwise, it's a great bottle. There doesn't need to be a pontil for it to be a blown bottle. If the seam stops before it goes all the way through the top, it is a BIM (Blown in mold), like the one you've got there. The long bubbles are when they pulled the rod out of the neck (after the blew in the mold) to finish the top. Blob tops were pretty much replaced around 1910 by the crown top, which was patented in 1893. Hope this helps.

Brandons Bottles

Reaction score
i'd estimate it being from the 1860s 70s or early 80s but I'm no expert either[:D] I started doing this a year and a half ago.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter