California Gold Rush Artifacts

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wilkie

Reaction score
Some gold rush artifacts, including "BOTTLES" were unearthed at San Francisco International Airport. Check out the story here:

http://news.yahoo.com/dig-sfs-transport-terminal-unearths-artifacts-160146141.html

28D5E68751304FF79156958C752CE4AE.jpg

These are actually a little later than the gold rush which began in 1849. The article is calling them gold rush artifacts though.

Attachments

• 28D5E68751304FF79156958C752CE4AE.jpg
    28D5E68751304FF79156958C752CE4AE.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 86

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I can't believe that no diggers have gotten into that action. I'd make it a personal vendetta to take anything possible from the no good self serving archys.[:mad:]

VTdigger

Reaction score
I've seen it it seems to me like it's quite a popular story, wish I was there though that's what so great about digging, I bet most towns have places like this there's places in my town where I'm starting to suspect there may be a dump 1880's and earyler dump in the very place I sat an thought that we have no idea the kinds of things that could be under the earth.

surfaceone

Reaction score
261211_gold-rush_swiff.jpg

Here's how the Irish are Looking @ This Story.

I hear ya, Mike.

This is the Transit Terminal, though, right? First and Mission? I'd be following dump trucks at a minimum.

I always thought that SFO was built on fill. Fill of what era?

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
I hear ya Mike(Caldigr2) I just haven't been able to dig in the city of late....been too busy with work....the year end mad rush of completing work before the rains. Although I hear we are in for a dry winter.
I should make some time this week to check it out though....see how the operation is going.
I'll keep you posted if I have any success.

Doug

maxbitters

Reaction score
I can attest to the fact that the fill starting at the original shore land is mostly all 1850s and gets a little newer going out from there. It ranges in depth from just a few feet to over 40 feet in with most of it being 1850s & 60s. I would estimate that there are at least 100 city blocks built upon such fill, it's insane.........

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Man, do I fondly remember those days. We thought that they would never end, but we were all a little "short sighted". Just like Old Sac it ended almost before we got started.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Ok, I'm feeling a little stupid, I was so excited about the article that I didn't read it carefully enough, "not" the airport but the transit terminal downtown. Thanks for correcting me, and also I'm a bit slow cause someone else had already posted the story.

steamfitter38

Reaction score
i work construction in SF and have come across lots of bottles and artifacts over the years...many parts of the city are built on fill from the 1800s.pretty exciting but most people never get to enter these areas.most construction sites are gaurded and highly off limits.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug in MANY of those sites. Bribing the guards was an art form and not too difficult. Now that I am old and slow I gave up on that scene.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR