Can anyone tell me what this is?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Moppie

Reaction score
Great to find this site! Just wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for any help or input provided.As a newbie, I obviously have an awful lot to learn and appreciate your help. So... can anyone tell me what this is? Is it a bottle or a decanter? There are no seams and a few bubbles in the glass here and there. The bottle is short , stout and heavy. My home was built in 1790 in upstate NY. This bottle was found on a shelf in a corner of the basement. http://imgur.com/eVcl9VJ,QazEVNu,yU6h0pJ

botlguy

Reaction score
Well Moppie, welcome to the forums. I can't help but I suspect others will want to see close ups of the finish / top and the base. It appears to be free blown, not using a mold, and thus could be quite old or contemporary. Your best bet is to have a bottle expert (available in your area) examine it in person, there are a large number of similar items being produced today. Jim

hemihampton

Reaction score
Wow, 1790 is a pretty old house. Gotta be some good bottles buried around there. LEON.

earlyglasscollector

Reaction score
Certainly appears to be freeblown, but doesn't fit into the usual range of forms/style we are used to seeing, so together with the unusual "brightness" of colour, most would want to see closeups of lip and pontil mark at least before confirming it's age. There are plenty of repro/modern freeblown items about and this mayfall into that group, but hopefully not. :)www.earlyglass.comFacebook: Earlyglass for sale & show

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
My gut is saying it's a modern decor piece and my gut tends to have a pretty good track record of identifying originals versus repros, but I unfortunately can't offer you a more educated answer than that. It definitely looks free-blown though, so it's a nice quality piece even if it isn't that old.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
It is definitely not an original in my opinion. It was probably made any time from the 1960s-80s. You come across them every so often in antique shops selling for a few dollars apiece.

sandchip

Reaction score
I'd like to see a good picture of the base before passing judgement on this piece.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1