Can cleaning questions

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
I tried soaking a can in lemon juice to clean it. I couldn't read anything on it (but on top it said Pabst so I knew what it would look like). I soaked it for I think 2 days. (This was a while ago so I'm not entirely sure of the amount of time I soaked it for). At first it was going great. When I removed it I could see the writing now but there was residue on it from soaking. I removed it at night so I had to wait till the next afternoon to rinse it off. Once I rinsed it off though, all the paint rubbed off leaving bare metal. Did I soak it for too long? Or maybe scrub it too hard?
20230329_185844.jpg
20230401_194202.jpg

Rodwon

Reaction score
Try gently wiping the can with Liquid Bar Keepers' Friend. Of course you'll never bring back the details under the rust but perhaps the Pabst logo might become more readable.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I think two days is too long. It's been a while since I did it but I don't remember keeping them in for that long. I think what I was doing was checking every few hours to see how it was coming along and washing the rust off each time I was able to. I don't think I usually kept them in for more than a day. You also want to scrub it very carefully. I think I was gently rubbing with my fingers under running water rather than using anything abrasive or even a cloth. Definitely don't take this as advice to apply to any potentially valuable cans though, these are just hazy memories from probably a decade or so ago.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Yeah I think two days is too long. It's been a while since I did it but I don't remember keeping them in for that long. I think what I was doing was checking every few hours to see how it was coming along and washing the rust off each time I was able to. I don't think I usually kept them in for more than a day. You also want to scrub it very carefully. I think I was gently rubbing with my fingers under running water rather than using anything abrasive or even a cloth. Definitely don't take this as advice to apply to any potentially valuable cans though, these are just hazy memories from probably a decade or so ago.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep an eye on one throughout the day over the weekend and see how it turns out.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Try something a tad more powerful, oxalic acid is what most can diggers use. In this particular case I doubt the result would have been different as this can is pretty roached. When you are doing a can in better condition you have to be careful as paint fade can also happen.

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score
Try something a tad more powerful, oxalic acid is what most can diggers use. In this particular case I doubt the result would have been different as this can is pretty roached. When you are doing a can in better condition you have to be careful as paint fade can also happen.
Alright, I'll try to find some some oxalic acid and try that out. I've got a couple cans in significantly better condition, I just wanted to know how bad can the condition be and still be salvageable. Thanks.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Alright, I'll try to find some some oxalic acid and try that out. I've got a couple cans in significantly better condition, I just wanted to know how bad can the condition be and still be salvageable. Thanks.

Condition can be pretty bad & still salvageable. I fixed this Rusty flat as a pancake Cone Top. Still need to add a Top. BUT, I was told it was way to far gone & would be impossible to fix? LEON.

flattenedmartincone.JPG
martinscleaned.JPG

East_Tn_Bottle_Guy

Reaction score

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yes I did. Rounding out takes many years of experience.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese