Can someone clarify my question on stenciled stoneware lettering?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Apparently Piggott arrived in the Cripple Creek area in 1893, and died in England in 1899. He was a miller by trade.

I keep looking at the close-up, and want to believe, but it just doesn't add up. I don't care how many "advanced" collectors say that it is real, or how many books it is listed in, because I can find "advanced" academics who will swear up-and-down that the earth was created by God in 7 days, about 6,015 years ago, and reference books which claim the Earth is hollow and the source of all UFOs. Deep belief and wishful thinking do not equate objective reality.

The only possibility I can come up with which would support it's being "real" is if this miller Piggott had some stencils he used to mark his barrels (both white and red paint was used on barrels) which contained his milled products. Perhaps he had a side business of fermenting grains and distilling the product (or he just repackaged a few barrels of spirits on the side), and he used his barrel stencils, White Lead paint on dark unmarked jugs and Red paint on lighter colored jugs to create a few pieces of his own to prevent the undue loss of his containers. Maybe he didn't want to lay out the cash for it to be done professionally by a pottery firm.

It is plausible, but I would think that the paint would look a bit less "fresh" after 112+ years than it appears. It is more likely that someone several decades ago found his stencil(s) and used them to mark Jugs with Old Stock paints for fun, or just entirely fabricated the stencils for use in the creation of whimsical items.

I dunno really, but the stenciling looks like paint to me. Someone prove to me how it isn't paint and I'll concede my position. If it is indeed paint, then the authenticity is dubious at best. For now, I'll be keeping that 500. [;)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Where as it is possible that this type of stencil does exist and was used at the TOC Brian brings up a good point how many jug have you seen with white stenciled letters?...
Thanks for everyone’s input on the subject but I still not fully convince and surly would be leery of any stoneware with white lettering.

Hey JB,

I don't think white stenciling is very common, but it certainly did exist on period pieces.

mini-lot240.jpg
"Lot of 2 stoneware pieces.
The first - DONAGHHO CO PARKERSBURG approximate 1 gallon canning jar with Albany glaze. Name is in white glaze stenciled across the front. Potter's fingerprints can be seen all along the base. Excellent. 9 1/2". 1880." From this March 2007 Stoneware Auction.

josephine-baker3.jpg

baltbottles

Reaction score
Looks like we have a fake Donagho jar on our hands now also. Just kidding that jar is the real deal as is the jug. many Albany slip glazed jugs were made around the TOC and even though the color combination of white on brown is unusual its not unheard of.

I mean what is the difference of slip glazing a jug white and using blue or black slip and a stencil for the lettering. Then doing it in reverse. Potters by trade were artisans there are many whimsy and end of day pieces made at every pottery. Perhaps the potter had a surplus of Albany slip glaze and simply made some reverse jugs to use up the excess material. Perhaps he just got bored making thousands of white jugs and said today I'm making something a bit different.

Chances are we will never know. I have seen enough stoneware jugs to know that even getting the name of the proprietor spelled correctly doesn't seem to have been a huge concern. For a potter the biggest concern was the firing of the kiln. If the kiln fired too hot you end up with burnt and deformed pottery that is usless. If fired to cold you get soft brittle pottery that is also useless and many many hours of work wasted.

Chris

Plumbata

Reaction score
The Donagho is the real deal, clearly (thanks for diggin that up surf), but what gets me is the lack of apparent vitrification of the white stenciling on the jug in question. If it was original, it should be vitrified and possess at least some semblance of a gloss, not a uniform flat matte above the brown gloss, right? What would cause it to look powdery, flaky, and pasty if it isn't just common paint added after the jug was fired and the stenciling is indeed original to the jug's manufacture?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter