Canadian bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crusher

Reaction score
Has anyone had some luck finding a 'ward's' lemon or orange crush bottle in Ontario? Crusher

crusher

Reaction score
I like the Pilgrim Bottles from Brockville,Ont. 1000 Islands mineral Water Co. Does any one here have any examples in their collections?

jamus

Reaction score
The C in the triangle was the logo of consumers's glass, a canadian company. if the triangle is pointed it was made between 1913 and 1961 if the corners of the triangle are rounded it was made after 1961.

Reaction score
Wm Taylor, Owen Sound

Wm Taylor has a long history in Owen Sound. The elder William Taylor set up shop around 1885 on his own, then joined with Pringle to form Taylor & Pringle around 1892. T&P made assorted sodas, pickles, vinegar, etc. expanding the soda business to include Coca-Cola in 1905 - a wise move. Several small town soda bottlers were purchased by T&P during the northern Ontario gold and silver rush of the early 1900's - hence you can find T&P bottles from Soo, Haileybury, New Liskeard, Sudbury - though I have yet to see a complete set. With sugar rationing in WWI these branch plants were closed and the T&P partnership was dissolved in 1916 - Wm Taylor continued with the soda business, with his song William Jr. taking over on his father's death. Pringle found another partner and continued as Bishop & Pringle. W.A. Bishop was the new partner - I don't think it was the flying ace, but it might well have been as William "Billy" Avery Bishop jumped from one failed business enterprise to another before successfully founding the RCAF and being appointed Air Marshall). Taylor continued bottling into the mid 70's when he sold his firm and trademarks to Thompson beverages of Orangeville.
There are several hutchs, blob tops, BIMAL crown tops, a stone ginger beer (VERY RARE!), seltzers, large ABM sodas, at least one small BIMAL soda, three of four ABM sodas (Orange Quench, Wm Taylor (2 variants of each), plus green enamelled Taylor's Ginger Ale. Also a few cans in the latter as well.

William Taylor Jr. ("Humph" as he was called) had a personal collection of Coca-Cola items alongside a sampling of his own bottles - past and present - in his office when still in the business. After his death his wife and daughters kept a few bottles for their own but sold most of the collection. Wish I'd known about it at the time he died as he had several mould "proofs" (completed bottle with label bearing mould number and reorder information from the glass company that made them) that are absolutely a one-of-a-kind item. He gave me a very general history of the company that I may reprint here at a later date - actually most of the pertinent facts are already given.

carleton

Reaction score
RE: Wm Taylor, Owen Sound

Hi, if anyone knows someone who has a New Liskeard bottle for sale (like in the picture) - I am VERY interested in finding one.
Thanks

simorama

Reaction score

I have been researching ginger beer, found this website and have been enjoying reading the posts so much I just registered.
Just for intererest's sake, we (Grey Roots Museum & Archvies) have a Taylor & Pringle stone gingerbeer bottle that will be on display (along with a lot more spirit bottles, jugs, carboys, etc. from October 5, 2013 to spring 2014 for Saints & Sinners: A Spirited History of Grey County. Love the work you do. Lots of our wonderful donations of bottles that relate to the history of the area come from diggers. We always record the loccations found.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Welcome Sim, you may want to put that in the "Announce" area with the link, which I'll add here. http://www.greyroots.com/

celerycola

Reaction score

The following books may have information relevant to your exhibit:

The Ontario Soda Water Manufacturers and Brewers Gazetteer and Business Directory, by Glen C. Phillips, 1987, 1988, 2003.

and the following have a lot of Canadian information.

American Stone Ginger Beer & Root Beer, Don and Betsy Yates, 1996

Ginger Beer & Root Beer Heritage, Don and Betsy Yates, 2003

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter