Canadian National Railways Super Continental Coffee Cup

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skylark

Reaction score
Whilst digging in my dump site, I came across this mostly intact cup that came off of a Canadian National Railway passenger train in 1953 or so. It is unfortunately missing its handle, but this is probably the reason it was thrown in the trash in the first place. Made by Medalta Potteries Limited.

Attachments

• dd75314ac23a4769a69a02f1c2b10c38.jpg
    dd75314ac23a4769a69a02f1c2b10c38.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 139

2find4me

Reaction score
Interesting find, and welcome to the forum! I would love to see any other finds that you found in your dump.

Skylark

Reaction score
Thanks! Here is a picture (blurry, unfortunately) of my whole collection, mostly newer bottles though.
GPXqwq2.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I found a CN kitchen knife once a long a railway , they did seem to produce a lot of items with there logo on it . its too bad its damaged it be a neat cup . what bottles are in the picture / what area are they from ? any pop bottles

Skylark

Reaction score
Yes, both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific put their logo on most of their items. I have several newer (1980s) pieces of CNR flatware, however they are from Cabooses so they are not as ornate. I found another one the other day that is in 95% perfect condition except for a small chip in the back. As for other bottles, I have dug them all in the Greater Sudbury area. I do have a few pop bottles, including 2 1950s coke bottles, a Sudbury Brewing & Malting Company bottle, 2 Canada Dry bottles, and an Up Town bottle.
D2uPTmK.jpg

Reaction score
Hi : Growing up in Niagara Falls , Ontario , I dug behind the Train Station on Bridge St. and dug literally hundreds of the same "logo" items. Dinner Plates , desert plates , cups , gravy boats tea cups , etc. , etc. Unfortunately all were broken. Some had minor chips but I brought everything home , cleaned them up, glued them back together. Kept them for a time, but ended up throwing them out.

Awesome pieces though.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I love old dishes with the logos of railroads and hotels and things on them. There's a dump not far from me that's packed with that stuff, including a lot of Canadian National stuff (though all of it older than that cup). Only intact thing I've found has been a turn of the century spoon, sadly. I think it was a dump for a company that removed trash from various institutions, since there's a mix of unrelated companies but almost no household trash.
I don't expect to find much of that sort of thing intact in the wild, but I'm always checking at thrift stores and garage sales as well. The other day I found a couple of serving plates from the Canadian Forces, which weren't as old as I'd hoped they were but still interesting.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal