Canal Era Jug ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

offtrail

Reaction score
This Jug was found not in the Ohio & Erie Canal but in a river next to the canal. Next to a lock where people worked and spent a lot of time. Been looking for one of these for a very long time. All you seem to find are tops with the finger loop and the broken bottoms. Anyhow looking for any info like where it might have came from. No markings that I can see, the jug is small about 5 1/2 inches tall and about the same wide. August 4th Great find 001.jpg

offtrail

Reaction score
The jug is still wet in the photo as i just found it and took a photo. Once it dried out it's dull looking with no shine at all. I did clean it up a bit looking for any kind of markings...but no luck. A small chip in the lip that has since worn smooth, other then that it seems to be in perfect shape.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It looks American to me, and definitely quite old, but narrowing it down beyond that is quite difficult.

sunrunner

Reaction score
Ohio and shrouding states had a lot of local pottery's . and a jug of this type cud have been made up in to the 1900s.

offtrail

Reaction score
Money wise not a biggie to me, just having one of these jugs is enough for me. Like I've said before, 99% of the time all you find of these jugs is the broken tops and the bottoms all smashed up. When I first seen this jug half hidden in mud and one foot of water...i about s#!t a brick. Then I thought what are the chances it's in one piece...very low. Anyhow it's probably from a local shop because this area has lots of history. The Ohio & Erie Canal goes right through my area so it's a great place to hunt. Just so you know hunting in the canal is not permitted, so you find other ways to dig up local history. Thanks for the help and replies.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Finding a complete jug that age in a creek or on the surface in a rare occurrence, not so in local privys, where many are found whole. A marked example , scratched with a logo or stenciled is tough task. Good luck. Here is one I found in a creek bank last year, after heavy rains exposed it.9-16-15 005.JPG

offtrail

Reaction score
Finding a complete jug that age in a creek or on the surface in a rare occurrence, not so in local privys, where many are found whole. A marked example , scratched with a logo or stenciled is tough task. Good luck. Here is one I found in a creek bank last year, after heavy rains exposed it.View attachment 174034
I hear that, for years I've been looking for one and finely found it. A new part of the river i never hunted before...happy I made the trip. Never dug a privy but know where one is. No one was willing to help me dig, this house had hand hued logs in the basement with the bark still on the beams. It also had an out building from the main house...this out building had a huge fireplace for cooking. As far as I could tell this property had at least two privys and a water well full of bottles and whatever would fit. That's a great looking jug, love hunting the water...you never know what your going to find...happy hunting!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583