Can't describe the feeling

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmation Warren. We combed the area pretty good but I bet we will go back just in case.[;)] Neat article Ron. After I get it cleaned up, I'll post another pic. Thanks guys, Kelley

bearswede

Reaction score
Here's some ramrod pipes that seem similar to yours... What metal are you thinking it's made of?

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partList.aspx?catID=14&subID=165&styleID=747

Ron

capsoda

Reaction score
Good info Ron. Most production { cheap every day use } flints used corragated brass. You could have a gunsmith make you anything you wanted. The Brown Bess was one of the production type that your average D. Boone could afford.

Hey Kelly, Abrasive blast lightly to remove heavy deposits and glass blast to remove the rest and pack the exterior of the iron. Soak in penatrating oil { completely submerge } for to or three days. After that you should be able to disassemble it and determine just how good it really is. Might be able to restore it. If it won't come apart after that email me your Ph # and I will call you and give you some other helpful info.

Oh yeah, don't heat it.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Thanks Bear! Mine resembles the RP-NW-F-6-B. It is brass and we are going back to that site in about 30 minutes. Cap, I have already used my dremil and soft wire brush on it and it's looking pretty good, but I do have access to a bead blaster out at work and I thought I would hit it ever so lightly with that. I am a firm believer in Kroil Oil and you can bet it will get a good soakin![:D] Now, if me or Pitfinder can just find that barrel today![:D] Thanks guys, Kelley

cc6pack

Reaction score
Gunsmoke,

You can also use an electrolysis method. It's simple to use and only takes about a day to complete. All you will need is some Red Devil lye (crystal form), plastic bucket, and zink. Maybe some rubber gloves if you want to keep your finger prints. be glad to post instructions if you're interested.

capsoda

Reaction score
I'm set up for that, pro like, I'm a jeweler. I use it to get badly corroded movements out of solid gold and silver cases. I'd be carefull on fine iron peaces like that. Check it every few hours so it wont pit or try using salt with no iodine in it instead of lye. I always use a stainless steel electrode. Zink, copper and brass can leave micro deposits on what your cleaning.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Well we just got back from the same spot and we didn't find the barrel![&o] We did however find 5 more pieces of the gun. The most impressive is the brass side plate opposite the flintlock mechanisim. It is a serpent, or dragon or something. Hopefully it will help identify the gun. There was one more small broken brass piece, an iron screw, an iron catch lever, and a smashed ornate brass piece that we are not sure about. Possibly the tip of the ramrod? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks, Kelley

Xv65791.jpg

Attachments

• Xv65791.jpg
    Xv65791.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 63

flasherr

Reaction score
Nice find kelly. One of these days i might actualy get up that way to visit with yall
Brian

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28