Can't describe the feeling

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Great article Ron, thanks a million! Cap, I would like it repaired but I am leary of messin with patina's. I really screwed up a few years ago when I unearthed a V.M.I. cartridge box plate in excellent condition. Yep, I cleaned it.[&o] It's still a beautiful artifact, it will never be for sale, and I know it's original, but if I had it to do over I would leave it alone.

Ron, can patina's be restored to look right, or does it just look like someone tried to restore an artifact some idiot (like me) polished?[;)] Thanks guys, Kelley

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Ron, You know this and I know this {I have to do it all the time in Jewelry work} But try to explane that to an histerical antiques dealer that kind of acts .....uuuh....kinda.....uuuh.....you know......dresses and acts like you old Aunt Bess.[:eek:]

Yeah Kelly, Patina can be restored. Cleaning and polishing doesn't change value or fact there of, it is stricktly a preforance thing.[:)]

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey guys...

This here ancient Roman coin looked like a blob of corroded metal when I got it in a bag of "dirty ol' coins" on ebay... When I was thru cleaning, it was like a bright shiney new penny...

After several rounds of baking, chemical baths and gun blueing treatments... VOILA!!!!

Ron

PS... By the way, in case you guys were a'wonderin'... That's Crispus, xbastardx son of Constantine I...

Hf97524.jpg

Attachments

• Hf97524.jpg
    Hf97524.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 67

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Well I guess that answers my question Ron! Nice job! And you..... a retired archaeoligist knowing how to do that !!![8|][:D]. Seriously, I may pm you about my VMI plate. Kelley

PS I love what you do with those coins. I've got about 6 or 8 of them myself and I've only been able to make one of them look decent with a couple of hours of electrolosis and a year of olive oil![:D]

flasherr

Reaction score
Ive seen thoes ads on ebay for old coins that need to be cleaned. are they worth buying? im always leary about somethign i know nothing about unless it is real chaep lol
Brian

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Brian, Not those little copper widows mites, they will crumble if you do almost anything to them. Thats why there soooo cheap.

Hey Kelly, Gold , silver, copper and brass coins will cleane up quick with Muratic acid with out harming them. Gold can soak for ever, you can't hurt it, silver about a day but it turns black but can be cleaned after the acid with cheap silver cleaner. Copper and brass you have to watch. As soon as it looks clean take it out. Then they can be cleaned just like silver.

If you want a patina on the Silver, copper or brass just rub it between your hands and put it away for a while and the tarnish returns.

In my humble oppinion gold should shine and silver should have a rubbed or polished look.

If you want your dragon fixed send me a PM.[:)]

bearswede

Reaction score
Hi Kelly...

With coins, I've had good luck with lemon juice and those soft metal brushes with wooden handles...very cheap, at the hardware store...

I've tried muriatic acid, but it requires some caution and should be diluted... Also tried electrolysis with a salt bath which works on really crusted stuff...

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
are they worth buying? im always leary about somethign i know nothing about unless it is real chaep lol

Hi Brian...

You can get bunches of real dirty coins for not too much money and have a lot of fun cleaning them up and seeing what you've got... You won't find gold, but I've found some silver plated coins and many are in decent shape so you can research the emperors... Most of the coins, even if in good shape, won't be worth a lot on the market... But definitely worth the fun...

I did manage to find a $40-50 coin in one batch... Also, I take the better coins and make necklaces out of them...

Ron

Zx71089.jpg

Attachments

• Zx71089.jpg
    Zx71089.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 68

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members