Carbide lamp

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

munkin919

Reaction score
Anyone here that knows anything about old miners lamps? I have a post with pics in the Unexpected Discoveries forum. Comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

LC

Reaction score
Did a quick Google and came up with the following .

Carbide lamps, also known as acetylene gas lamps, are simple lamps that produce and burn acetylene (C2H2) which is created by the reaction of calcium carbide (CaC2) with water.

These lamps were used in mines after the re-invention of the medium in 1892[clarification needed](not to be confused with the oil powered Davy lamp). Carbide lamps were also used to illuminate buildings, as lighthouse beacons, and as headlights on cars and bicycles. They are still employed by cavers, hunters, and cataphiles.

Brings back memories for me every time I see a carbide lamp or lantern . When I was a youngster , I had a full size carbide lantern that was my Grandfather's. Me and a friend of mine would take it camping , night fishing at a lake we grew up on , as well as frog gigging . It did not put off an awsome amount of light , but if you kept the reflector clean , it would brighten things up pretty good . It sure did put off quite a nasty smell too , kept the bugs away though !

LC

Reaction score
Here is a bit more info concerning this type of lighting .

Mechanism
The conventional format of producing acetylene in a lamp is by putting the calcium carbide in the lower chamber (the generator). The upper reservoir is then filled with water. A threaded valve or other mechanism is used to control the rate at which the water is allowed to drip onto the chamber containing the calcium carbide. By controlling the rate of water flow, the production of acetylene gas is controlled. This, in turn, controls the flow rate of the gas and the size of the flame at the burner, (and thus the amount of light it produces).

This type of lamp generally has a reflector behind the flame to help project the light forward. An Acetylene Gas powered lamp produces a surprisingly bright, broad light. Many cavers prefer this type of unfocused light as it improves peripheral vision in the complete dark. The reaction of carbide with water produces a fair amount of heat independent of the flame. In cold caves, carbide lamp users can use this heat to help stave off hypothermia.

When all of the carbide in a lamp has been reacted, the carbide chamber contains a wet paste of slaked lime (calcium hydroxide). This is emptied into a waste bag and the chamber can be refilled. The residue is basic and toxic to animals so should not be deposited in locations where animals may consume it. However, over time the hydroxide will react with atmospheric carbon dioxide to form calcium carbonate, which is non-toxic.

Small carbide lamps called "Carbide Candles" are used for blackening rifle sights to reduce glare. These "candles" are used due to the sooty flame produced by acetylene.

History
The first carbide lamp (mining lamp?) developed in the United States was patented in New York on August 28, 1900 by Frederick Baldwin.[2] Domestic lighting was introduced in circa 1894 and bicycle lamps from 1896. Another early lamp design is shown in a patent from Duluth, Minnesota on October 21, 1902.[3] In the late 1900s, Gustaf Dalén invented the Dalén light. This combined two of Dalén's previous inventions: the substrate Agamassan and the Sun valve. On March 10, 1925 Andrew Prader of Spokane, Washington was granted a United States Patent, number 1,528,848 for certain new and useful improvements for Acetylene Lamps.[4]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete