Center slug NC Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleCapKid

Reaction score
Found this bottle at a local flea market this morning. I bought the bottle because I new it was old and I didn't have it. Anybody have any information on this bottle or the history of the company.

The bottle reads

EDENTON BOTTLING CO.
R. MADRIN
PROP.
EDENTON, NC

Thanks

Attachments

• 782ff2631d474bda8de3dd37ea7eee4e.jpg
    782ff2631d474bda8de3dd37ea7eee4e.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 96
  • e4024b2bb4914f41baf91e6dc1b0236b.jpg
    e4024b2bb4914f41baf91e6dc1b0236b.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 90

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Can't say much. Early 1900s. If it says 'Not to be sold', it's liable to be alcohol related--but it looks more like soda pop. Registered splashed up there is what I often see as alcohol, too. The embossing is somewhat crude on the back. A little up-and-down in my view. But that doesn't say much. My Furst-McNess is crude by late '20s early '30s. R Madrin is the 'prop'rietor of the bottle-- in my collection that tends to be medicine related, but it's a small % in mine so that doesn't mean anything either. My guess is early 1900s alcohol, a smaller company for the local area. Type into Google the company and bottles, you should come up with some stuff--I do believe something just shattered so.... Good luck and I'd love to have that, even in clear, as part of my collection.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nope, not alcohol, almost definitely a soda. You're confusing "Not to be sold" with "Federal law prohibits sale..." Not to be Sold (or some variation thereof) was put on all sorts of beverage bottles that were supposed to be returned to the bottler. Proprietor has nothing to do with medicine either, it was put on a lot of sodas as well. I've got an ACL or two with "proprietor" on them."Bottling" is usually a dead giveaway of a bottle being a soda, for some reason. I guess that "Bottling" was just the verb associated with soda. Beer was brewed, whiskey was distilled, soda was bottled.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Hmm. Alright, thanks for the clarification. But I've seen alcoholic bottling works bottles --local for me at least. We've had over 50 bottling companies here. Mostly I've only seen local bottles, so... I have to go with what I've gathered, and 'not to be sold' is always alcohol on what I've seen, and proprietor has only been medicine related here. Guess we're an odd town. But, I have gained knowledge from you, so thank you. :)

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Hmm. Alright, thanks for the clarification. But I've seen alcoholic bottling works bottles --local for me at least. We've had over 50 bottling companies here. Mostly I've only seen local bottles, so... I have to go with what I've gathered, and 'not to be sold' is always alcohol on what I've seen, and proprietor has only been medicine related here. Guess we're an odd town. But, I have gained knowledge from you, so thank you. :)
Some hutches have "Not to be Sold" on them, and hutches contained soda...

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've never found a Hutch from here. Heh. Not a shard, not in the museum, nor an antique store, nor in the two collections of local bottles I've seen. Frankly, I'm wondering if they skipped over us as Grand Rapids, a much bigger city, is so close by and they were for there. We get G.R. bottles here. So... I'll shrug on that one and pour you a vanilla Dr. Pepper.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
I've never found a Hutch from here. Heh. Not a shard, not in the museum, nor an antique store, nor in the two collections of local bottles I've seen. Frankly, I'm wondering if they skipped over us as Grand Rapids, a much bigger city, is so close by and they were for there. We get G.R. bottles here. So... I'll shrug on that one and pour you a vanilla Dr. Pepper.

Where is here?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Here is Muskegon. Former Lumber Queen of the World, former tourist town and port city, former bottling town, former plenty. The depression hit and killed off tourism--we could have become like Chicago. I have heavily researched my town and some of the ferries only stopped here and cities like Chicago as they had everything. Lake Michigan once had tracks for street-trolley to bring people down to the resident carnival on the lakeside here (all gone now). Also, businesses moved away to Muskegon as it was booming. The ruins of a huge resort lie in the dunes (Now demolished and mostly filled in) other ruins like the lovely Hackley hotel are all gone from the speedy times of our city's grand past. Our town also invented Snowboarding at the Block House. The Hackley and Hume homes are some of thee most ornate homes you will ever see (If you ever come here, you HAVE to go to the Hackley House. It's completely over-the-top ornate. Lavish in every way, shape, and form.) We had everything here--both big-city and small-town life. All but Hutches from what I've seen. That surprises me. If you have any, I'm dying to see one.

ACLbottles

Reaction score

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Oh, that is superb! Thank you! And yes, I will keep looking, but I rarely get to the 1900 mark. So... By a hospital here is a hole area of 1800s homes, by Maranatha which is near the ruined resort are 1800s homes. The Hackley and Hume homes I doubt'd let me dig, but they're bound to have so pretty good stuff as they were richer people later donated as orphanages. Good luck with your hunt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85