CERTO brown bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Woody, Sure Jell is ok for some things but it tends to leave jellies and preserves a little to watery for my taste.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
i dont know what my mum and dad use when they make jelly....but its usually great except for this one time not too long ago momma made some and it was all watery more like syrup instead of jelly it also molded while it was still sealed in the jar too.....go figure...

Yooper14

Reaction score
The certo jars are real common almost anywhere you go. They are neat looking though. I've noticed that there are oodles of color variations. I have a small shelf of them that I keep for the neat color. They go in a smooth progression from light yellow all the way to dark brown, with everything inbetween. Too bad people don't collect them, but there's so many out there you'd never get much for them even if people did take them...

dirtmover

Reaction score
I just dug one of those up this past weekend - it's used to make jams/jellies my dig is dating in the 40's if that helps any.keep digging [:)]

LC

Reaction score
When I was a Kid, I would go with my Mother when the berries were ripe, and we would pick Rasberries Blackberries, and Dewberries. My Mother would always can them or make jellies or pies. She could really make them good too! I remember one year, a neighbor gave her all the grapes that she wanted to pick. She made Grape Jelly, and put up quite a few quarts of Grape Juice as well. And to my surprise some time later as I retreived a quart of grape juice, I found that it had fermented and turned to wine. Well, that summer me and my friends did a lot of camping out, and needless to say, we took care of all that faulty grape juice. My Mother was amazed how out of the blue all that grape juice was used up! I told her about it years later, and we both had a good laugh about it. Thanks for making me think of some of the good old days Spencer!

Brains

Reaction score
Interesting that you would bring up the color variants, i have a 7-up green one. Looks just like a certo, measurement lines and the indent in the back but it just doesnt say certoon it. Paid $5 fot it[&:]

Yooper14

Reaction score
Brains,
I was thinking that too...after my post I went to my collection and looked, and I do have a green one as well - well, it appears to be like a certo...it has the 1/2 cup arrows and line, but not an indented "label area" like the certos. Wonder if it was a "wannabe" certo. Interesting.
Yooper

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen