Chero Cola Script

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if someone could tell me the story behind the script on Chero Cola bottles. I have heard that they initially used cursive script in 1912 but were sued by Coke so they switched to other lettering, i.e. block script. I have a Chero with cursive script and it is 7 oz. and wanted to know more information about it. It is from Jacksonville, FL.

Aloysia

Reaction score
Claude Hatcher was the inventor of Chero Cola. By 1920 Chero-cola was in a head to head race for top selling soft drink in USA! There was a lawsuit and a 1921 court decision causing Hatcher to stop using the word "cola".

I am not sure this info would be helpful to you and i do not know about script changing to block! However there is this lawsuit but don't have any details! Perhaps this was part of the change to block.

Chero remained on the market for three decades but "lost its edge with not having cola in the" name.

Aloysia

Reaction score
Claude Hatcher was the inventor of Chero Cola. By 1920 Chero-cola was in a head to head race for top selling soft drink in USA! There was a lawsuit and a 1921 court decision causing Hatcher to stop using the word "cola".

I am not sure this info would be helpful to you and i do not know about script changing to block! However there is this lawsuit but don't have any details! Perhaps this was part of the change to block.

Chero remained on the market for three decades but "lost its edge with not having cola in the" name.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
There are others who can tell you more about this, but the way I understand it they used the arched script in 1912, then the slant script until 1914, then the block letter after that. Not sure that had anything to with a lawsuit, but think it was just trying to decide on a logo. I don't know if there was more than one lawsuit. The only one I've ever heard of was when they had to stop using the word Cola, which was the beginning of the end for them.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris