china or japan coin????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lacolobiger

Reaction score
Dug this in town today on an empty lot. Dont know any history about the lot. Seem to be brass or bronze. Just a tad bit bigger than a nickel and half as thin. heres a couple picks. Hope someone can tell me something about it, or steer me in the direction of someone who can!! Thanks in advance. While I'm on here, wheres them t-shirts and ball caps??

He97224.jpg

Attachments

• He97224.jpg
    He97224.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 91

IRISH

Reaction score
Yep Chinese, they can be dated fairly accurately by the side with the two characters, I don't know what they mean though.
They are always great to find although they have been found in there millions here in Australia, lost by the Chinese gold diggers.

Roger

Reaction score
wheres them t-shirts and ball caps??

They are coming.... [:)]

I have set them up on CafePress and ordered myself one so that I can inspect the quality. It should arrive in a few days and if it looks good I will publicize where and how to can get one.

Aerated

Reaction score
Dead right Irish.
Having dug a few Chinese miners camps, you can be guarannteed of finding at least one of these coins.They were used in ex-pat Chinese communities for currency.The largest hoard of these Ive heard of was about 400 found in a ginger jar.Apparently they also used them in there gambling games,Which were played in "paka-poo" dens.According to the literature of the days,
a haven of opium fuelled sin & corruption.There were Chinese communities in most towns associated with goldrushes, id imagine it would have been the same in Australia.
Do you Aussie folks come across much Chinese items?

IRISH

Reaction score
We get quite a few Chinese things here, there where whole goldfields with a vast majority of Chinese diggers on them in the 1850's to 70's era.
The biggest hoard of cash (the correct name of those coins) found in Oz I'm aware of was 32,000 in the one urn, I presume it was a big urn [:D] .

Aerated

Reaction score
WOW!! 32,000!
see that and raise you.......2 Tiger whiskys & a floral printed Ginger jar LOL.
Anyway in NZ in the early 1900's we had a piece of Legislation called the "poll tax".
It meant basically that any Chinese wishing to Emigrate here had to pay 10 pounds(about $400 NZ dollars, in todays money). This was instigated by one of our Prime Ministers( the hon. Richard J Seddon) a ferverent Racist by todays standards. I was lucky enough to dig on his Original Homestead site.And I think he must have been a Heavy drinker, we found 40! pint whiskies.(J Mitchell &Co) and 2 aerated water bottles(and about 200 ring seal beers!).
Just goes to show.......

Cheers

Aerated

Have you ever dug up Opium Paraphenalia?

lacolobiger

Reaction score
You say they can be dated fairly easely by the design. O.K.!! Now what??? Do you know what the date is or someone who does? How much is face value? what is the collector price?..... Glad to know the t-shirts are closer. Can't wait to see them. Did you make Ball caps too???

Tandy

Reaction score
Hi there lacolobiger,
Try this website: http://www.calgarycoin.com/reference/china/china8.htm#ching

First column, bottom coin. Do they match?

I think that they are the same coin: Emperor HSUAN TSUNG AD 1821-1850

Cheers,

Tandy

Tandy

Reaction score
By pure coincidence, now its my turn.

Here is a scanned image of one I dug up yesterday.

Db84054.jpg

Attachments

• Db84054.jpg
    Db84054.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member