Please help identify. I believe I have an old apothecary or store display jar. Maker date, mark, origin, purpose ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PepperAnna

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to the world of jars. I found this at a thrift store recently and really love it. I would like to know more about. It is fairly large about 15 tall and 11 inches wide at its widest point. It is clear with a greenish blue tint to the glass. The glass is wavy and thick. I believe the bottom has either been put on separately or it is a send pontil. In picture I have outlined the shape of the bottom seem in blue, that I believe to be a sand pontil. You will see the seam is not precise. It veers off to the side of the jar. As it comes around the bottom it ends up lining up again with the bottom of the jar. There are vertical lines in the bottom that go all the way around the bottom, as marked in the picture. I've done a representation of the lines in blue, so you can see where they are. My representation is not exact. The vertical lines are rough to the touch. There is a rectangle like mark in the center of the bottom. It is raised slightly. A slight bump. The glass is smooth to the touch on the bottom, except for the vertical lines. There's one vertical mould line and three horizontal hold lines that end in a taper. See pictures.

I would like to know if my speculation about what the purpose of this jar was used for is correct? Do you think it was a store display or apothecary jar? What purpose do you think it had?

I would like to understand how it was made. Do you think the bottom has a sand pontill? Or is that just how they manufactured the jar? Was it hand made? Blown mold ? Do you think it was made with a 3 piece mold? Has the bottom been polished?

Any ideas about date, manufacturer and country/ region of origin ?

Hear some information that I found. I found a few similar examples online. However, they don't appear to be like the one I have. Most of them are obviously machine made. Marked Italy. There are ones made in spain. However they appear to be more refined than the one I have. I saw one example from england. 1970s machine made. I also saw one marked mid century modern. There are some hand blown art glass pieces. Coming out of italy. They are modern. Definitely more finished than the one I have. The company that makes them is known for fine art glass. So I don't believe this one could be from them. I will attach some pictures of maker's stickers that I have found on the other examples. Maybe this could have something to do with mine? There is one more odd clue. The only other example of the one I have, I found in the same state where I live, Oregon. Which seems kind of odd to me. Compared to older, more densely populated states, Oregon does not have a lot of glass wear.

The examples of ones I have found online seem to be almost identical as far as how they are designed. They even have the same measurements. They are however manufactured differently. Does anyone know why this is?

Any help in this matter would be wonderful. I am new to glass and really enjoying learning how glass is made. Thank you in advance.

20230919_123047.jpg
20230919_123223.jpg
20230919_123653.jpg
20230919_123101.jpg
20230920_101249.jpg
20230920_101216.jpg
Screenshot_20230919_125817_Chrome.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid it's not a very old jar, probably 1970s and made to look older. It's a kitchen storage jar made to look nice as part of someone's kitchen decor. It's machine-made, the seam going all the way to the top of the lip is a dead giveaway. The mark on the base is called a suction scar, not a pontil. It's found on bottles made on an automatic bottle machine but more visible on some than others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen