Chinese Shovel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Holindaze

Reaction score
I use two good old American made shovels I purchased at a hardware store two years ago and if they break I will replace them with the same. I just thought the things looked interesting but I would never buy a chinese shovel.

wesleyg25

Reaction score
If you something similar but American made try the E Tool issued by the US Military

Attachments

• 108536EBA18F4269ABE895C4C5C8762A.jpg
    108536EBA18F4269ABE895C4C5C8762A.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 73

rockbot

Reaction score
Total junk. Multi function tools never live up to it. I got an old shovel that belonged to my grandpa. Still going after 60 years and MADE in AMERICA.

Jim

Reaction score
I try to buy American whenever possible. Being in the automotive business, I have seen first-hand the poor quality of Chinese-made auto parts. It is downright scary that they are even allowed to sell such substandard garbage, especially when dealing with important items like brake and suspension components. I wouldn't put that junk on my vehicles, and I won't sell it to my customers, either. Vehicle safety is more important than saving 20 bucks on your ball joints.

Chinese metal is the equivalent of chrome-plated cardboard. I will gladly fork out $200 for a Snap-On wrench set made in Wisconsin before I'll pay $15 for its Chinese "equivalent". Busted tools cost me productivity, and busted knuckles are just not fun [:mad:].

Sadly, it can be hard to find some items made in the USA. I have found that parts from Europe, Canada, Japan and even Mexico are far superior to those made in China. I always try to buy American first. After that, the rule is "ABC"- Anywhere but China! ~Jim

Wangan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: wesleyg25

If you something similar but American made try the E Tool issued by the US Military

Wes,I have one of these and was not impressed.If you get the older and a bit bigger model with the wooden handle they are better.

Jim,Im not versed on foreign car parts,but because of tariffs that used to be in place,(I dont know if they are still doing that),I have heard from friends that they can really sock it to ya on the price of parts.There are some good foreign cars tho.Volvo has a roll bar all around the windshield and is well built but they are a skinny inside like a Jeep.But,Ill stay loyal to the home team just the same.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Ya know, if the only stuff you buy are antique bottles or other old American cultural items then you can rest easily knowing that your cash isn't going to China. [;)]

I am no fan of consumer items born in the Orient, but the standards of quality are being raised respectably. I hate to say it, but some Chinese items are of superior quality, and can be had at extremely low prices. Soon I want to make my fortunes by importing and reselling all manner of Chinese and Indian machines, tools, and chemicals. I've been researching it since 2003 and I can see no other way to make such awesome profits with such minimal effort. Individual chemicals or elementary substances sourced from china can generate 70,000+ in profits per year, based on my involved market research, and I've got a binder of research and calculations on over 40 different highly profitable items. The bottom line is the bottom line, and if buying stock from china can ensure profits 2 to 5 times greater than stock obtained within America then you would be either foolish or hopelessly idealistic not to jump at the opportunity. I'd much rather make 200,000 a year selling out to china than 30,000 a year working for some American business which will probably be owned by China in a decade anyway.

I wish things were as they were right after WW2, but times are changing and China is becoming quite the superpower. After WW2, vast quantities of raw materials were flowing out of Europe and into America to feed our burgeoning industries. We dominated the world for decades, and got lazy and complacent because of our superior position. Now, the dynamic has changed and vast quantities of raw materials are flowing out of America and Europe and into China (scrap metals and electronics, commodities, and unrefined raw materials). I've seen the writing on the wall and in this case, resistance is futile. China is focusing on increasing quality and fine-tuning now instead of just broad expansion of industrial capacity, so it is only a matter of time before Chinese and Swiss made watches, for example, are indistinguishable in quality. Might as well try to make the best of it, because 1 person, or even 300,000,000 people are no match for 1,100,000,000 people, even if they are slightly smaller in stature. [&:]

ORIGINAL: Wangan
I think global warming is actually our forefathers spinning in their graves.

[:D]

That is the most awesome sentence I've read all week, Thanks Wangan! [:)]

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wangan

Sorry but it is so. Remember how cheap their cars were when they first got there foot in our door?Not so cheap now,are they?I realize that even some American parts and things arent American made anymore or they are ASSEMBLED in America,but I try to buy US made products when ever I can.

Hey Tim,

To which cars are you referring? I'm with ya on Buy US about 110%, but the closest I could come to a chinese car in my neck o the woods was this:
yugo-gv.jpg

Parts seem to be a whole nother story. "China exports or imports few motor vehicles: less than 200,000 of each. Exports are growing much more rapidly than imports and are mostly light trucks shipped to developing country markets in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. China’s industry has developed extensively with the aid of foreign direct investment, unlike those of Korea and Japan. This investment has been from major international automobile manufacturers, led by General Motors (GM), that are unlikely to promote Chinese exports in competition with their own products in other markets. As a consequence, the Chinese companies that have expressed an interest in exporting cars are those who are less dependent on such cooperation and may struggle to meet safety and emission standards in industrial countries. Most experts do not see a high volume of exports from China into these markets in the near future.

By contrast, Chinese auto parts exports are already making inroads into the United States. While U.S. motor vehicle trade with China was insignificant in 2005, the United States imported $5.4 billion in parts from China, while it exported about one-tenth of that amount. China accounted for about 6% of U.S. auto parts imports in 2005, but the amount has quadrupled since 2000. Many of these imports are aimed at the aftermarket, as most of what China now exports to the U.S. market are standard products such as wheels, brake parts and electronics. But with high rates of investment in China by the leading U.S. manufacturers of both cars and parts, major companies such as GM look to increase sourcing from China..." From China’s Impact on the U.S. Automotive Industry Updated April 4, 2006.

"BEIJING—Automobile sales in China last year raced past the U.S. market for the first time to take the top spot, as Chinese government incentives helped sales surge 46% from a year earlier to 13.6 million vehicles amid a broader global slowdown..." From.

I'm an automotive idiot, but now feel the need to specify that no Chinese parts be used on any of the tribe's (all American made) vehicles.

Never had a Chinese shovel, but I have had two potato rakes via Home Depot that are now both two tined and much the worse for not much vigorous use. Ain't gonna get another of those guys.

felb010.jpg

Wangan

Reaction score
Sorry Surf. I should have said most any import.I got ranting on Chinese products and didnt mean their cars per se.When the Toyota Corolla first came out,my father bought one and it was damn flimsy.My brother and his buddies got drunk and rolled it over.It folded up like a ball of tinfoil.It took him 6 months to get parts because they were so new to this country and not set up well in the parts dept. so that you had to wait for the parts to be shipped over here.That was the last time he bought foreign and felt lucky my brother didnt get killed so that he could do it himself.[:D]

Foreign imports have come quite a ways from then,but I agree with Morb.,and I am hopelessly idealistic.I was born bald,toothless and broke and I`ll probably die that way,althought I still have my hair.[8|] I thought the AMC Pacer was a scary rig for a domestic car.I never knew anyone that owned one,but with all that glass,I could just imagine a decapitation in an accident.Then they took over Harley Davidson for awhile and tried to build em cheap.[:mad:]

Next time I get going on something I`ll go do something else for awhile and then come back and proofread what I wrote.Maybe it will make more sense,maybe.[:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator