Clarke & White "C" New York

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Have you clicked on Open Full Version right above where you type your response. It will show a paper clip so you can choose your attachments.

sandchip

Reaction score
atticfinds said:
Here is a pint size sand chip pontiled Clarke and White bottle I found several months ago. This was a really cool bottle and I debated on whether or not to keep it! What I found so unique about it was it's huge applied sloping collared lip with ring. The pictures really do not do it justice. I believe this may possibly be from the Mt. Pleasant glassworks, but I am not a hundred percent sure. Don Tucker wrote a great book on Saratoga type bottles if your interested in learning more about them!

Hellacious!

twowheelfan

Reaction score
Re: Clarke & White "C" New York PA Will's images of his bottle

here you go PA Will. nice bottle. this looks like the quart sized one. Nice!
photo2_zps8cbc3611.jpg
photo1_zps8e2226c2.jpg

PA Will

Reaction score

Thanks twowheelfan!!

PA Will

Reaction score

Thanks twowheelfan!!

twowheelfan

Reaction score

You are welcome! I do not have a large quart size to compare it to, only have the smaller pint sized ones. I do believe tha t THAT is the large sized Saratoga bottle. There is nothing in your pic to scale it to, but the form is a dead ringer for the quart sized bottle. Scan around on this site. I know that there is a discussion of base markings on here somewhere. You will be able to research a narrower age range her I'm sure. Could be earlier than you think! Could be newer too.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Hi PA Will, Nice bottle!

Your bottle held 'Congress Water' from the Congress Spring at Saratoga, NY and dates around 1856-1866.

A Dr.John Clarke bought the spring in 1822. The Congress Spring bottles timeline goes about like this;

Embossed:
Lynch & Clarke 1823-1833
John Clarke 1833-1846
Clarke & Co 1846-1856
Clark & White 1856-1866

About 1865 the Congress Spring & the Empire Spring merged becoming the Congress & Empire Spring Co. (C&E)

The Clark & Whites are a large group with alot of variants but boiled down to two types, one without and one with the block 'C' in the center.
The Clark & Whites without the C in the center turn up pontiled but its rare to find a block C example pontiled in quart or pint size, but usually have numbers or letters on the base. Your bottle would most likely have been blown at the Mt. Pleasant glass Works about 12 miles or so from the spring.

That Knowlton's is a beauty! He purchased the Empire Spring from G W Weston in 1861 and sold it in 1864.
Never seen a pontiled one before, nice!

I've got Tucker's older book (1986) but there is a newer edition came out not to long ago. These saratogas are highly addictive!

Al

twowheelfan

Reaction score
thanks Al (diggerdirect) for the Saratoga cliff notes! great to have people around that share information. these bottles are quite fun to dig. looking forward to digging many many more.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26