CLAY BOTTLE FOUND IN ST MARYS RIVER

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lepew62

Reaction score
I went to the St Marys river to wade today. It is only about 14 miles away yet I have never waded it. I took my fishing pole along in case there happened to be good fishing there. I waded up about a mile or so, it was a slow soft bottomed creek interspersed with deep holes. I did catch one small bass. So back to this clay bottle I found. It is 11 1/2" high and 11 inches around. When I first picked it up I thought it was an empty propane torch tank. It has a very similar stature. Written near the top in capital letters is this
HW SCHLICHTE
AELTESTE-BRENNERIE
STEINHAGEN I/W
then at the base is a bird sitting atop a gridded globe, underneath that is written SCHWARZ-MARKE. I wish I could get a picture up, I am hoping to in a few days or sooner. So what can anyone tell me about this unusual find.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey David,

Does it look at all like this modern one?
41394.jpg

H.W. Schlichte distillery us Germany's oldest Gin.

Looking forward to seeing the photos...

41394.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
And a Happy Birthday, too, seems to be in order here.

"AELTESTE-BRENNERIE" means Oldest Distillery in German.

die-aufschrift-ist-gut-lesbar-h-w-schlichte-aelteste-brennerei-steinhagen-w.jpg
From.

lepew62

Reaction score
It is exactly like the one Surfaceone has posted. I thought it might be older or more rare. Yes, I have reached the 1/2 century mark today. 1/2 century makes me feel historic, saying 50 just sounds old [:D]

lepew62

Reaction score
I am going back over to the St Marys river today. River is kind of misleading, it is more a large creek. St Marys is home to the largest hand dug lake in the world, Grand Lake St Marys. It is a shallow lake and was dug as a feeder for the canals. I did find quite a bit of broken glass in the river, including broken blobs. So I am hoping to find some whole bottles. Will get back to you later if anything interesting comes up. Also I was wondering if I can clean the bottle I found with acid. I have access to strong acids at work. Will it harm it or corrode it in any manner. Have a good one people I will get back to you later.

glass man

Reaction score
COOL! AND A HAPPY LATE HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!I know what it is like to reach the half century mark...8 years ago for me...I started thinking in terms of.."WOW just a little less then 4 times my age the CHEROKEE INDIANS WERE STILL HERE WITH NO WHITE PEOPLE IN THIS AREA TO BOTHER THEM!!WHEW![:)] JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR