Cleaning ACL with "Bar Keepers Friend"

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
you mean painted label PEPSIs?..............if so,then yes,it works on all ACLs................i make a thick paste(about the consistency of peanut butter) with BAR KEEPERS FRIEND and a little water..............then a cover the label with it and let it sit for a little while,then then vigorously rub the paste onto the label untill the stain dissapears(sometimes you can just wipe the paste off and the stain will be gone depending on how bad its stained).........just make sure the label is in good condition and is not deteriorated,and if the white paste starts to turn the color of the label sinse off emmediately...[:)]

carobran

Reaction score
oh,and i just use my fingers to rub the label with and not a toothbrush .......P.S...where are you from?theres some Blaylocks that live down the road from me..[:)]

jblaylock

Reaction score
Yes, I was talking about the Red/White & RWB acl Pepsi bottles. I have several that have good labels (not faded) but are dirty and I would love to clean them. I'll get some and try it out.

I'm from Kentucky, I don't hear of many other Blaylocks...especially with it being spelled the same. Some are spelled Blalocks. I know of some Blaylocks in Georgia too.

chosi

Reaction score
...just make sure the label is in good condition and is not deteriorated,and if the white paste starts to turn the color of the label sinse off emmediately

I can vouch for this (ignoring the typos). I recently got 2 ACL bottles that needed cleaning. The first one came out great, but when I started on the second one, the coloring started to come off. I recommend rubbing a small, out of the way portion of the colored label first, and if it holds up, then clean the rest.

carobran

Reaction score
yeah,i had a DR,PEPPER bottle i used it on,the label looked like it was in good condition................then the white paste turned red[8|][;)]

T D

Reaction score
I have rubbed a hole in a non-dug ACL. Especially on white, if the paint is thin, you can definitely mess up. Wet the bottle, sprinkle Bar Keepers Friend on it and gently rub with your finger. Do this in good light so you can keep a good visual check on things. Look at the label through the bottles from the backside also. If you are trying to get a spot out- be careful- let well enough alone...Wash off and repeat several times. Bar Keepers Friend is cheap compared to a really nice ACL

jblaylock

Reaction score
ok, so now I'm a little scared. I have a Pepsi ACL with the '2 full glasses' on the neck. The label is in good shape, but the white color has browned. This is the only one like this I have and I don't want to ruin it.

carobran

Reaction score
i figured we were sounding kinda negative.................but ive done 20 or so ACLs with BKF and only one messed up,the paste started turning red,i washed it off,let it dry and you can hardly tell anything happened,id put the paste on a lowere corner,rub it good onto the ACL,and if it holds up do the whole thing,i just did a 40s ROYAL CROWN and it did great,i was afraid to do it at first but decided to try and now its all minty..[:)][;)][;)]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster