cleaning advice

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

robert murray

Reaction score
i found a bottle that has old distemper residue in it.i dont mean a little i mean it looks like thick black tar and it is reallly sticky and awfull smelling it al so had a syringe in the bottle as well should i even try to clean it or just toss it.it is a heavly embossed cork bottle.any advice is greatly appreciated.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Robert....I suppose the best thing for your peace of mind would be to stop off at your Vet and show it to him/her...see what they have to say...or perhaps call if that's not practical... I understand your concern, but think it's misplaced...Please let us know what you find out..It's an unusual situation.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Robert,
If I wanted the bottle, I would try to clean it. It doesn't hurt to soak it in hot soapy water and then rinse it. See if that helps. Then soak it in something else. Something is bound to free up the residue. Or you could always chuck it later. I'd give it a shot.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've dealt with a few of those. It's time consuming. Hot but not too hot water is a start and raise the temp slowly. Keep it constant at about 120-140 degrees for at least 1 hour. When it gets soft a coat hanger with a short bend can take out globs. You do it over and over. When you get close to all of it then you can try mineral spirits. It isn't over then, a brush you don't want back is needed.
That tar like stuff is stubborn when there's a lot.
Rapid changing of temp will crack the bottle so be careful. Think of canning, you start with warm and bring to a boil.
Tell us what it is and someone can tell you it it's worth the trouble.

coboltmoon

Reaction score
Dawn Power Dissolver will clean anything!!!! (not Dawn dish soap)

Best cleaner ever and it is cheap too $3.00. I could write a book about the amazing things I have cleaned with Dawn Power Dissolver.

Don't use on paint or painted tin unless you don't like the paint.

7818BF05366D46379CC9A38720E155ED.jpg

Attachments

• 7818BF05366D46379CC9A38720E155ED.jpg
    7818BF05366D46379CC9A38720E155ED.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members