Cleaning Demo

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

suzanne

Reaction score
Today I am going to clean a really sick bottle. Minerals have leached into the glass. The pro's refer to this as etching. First I fill the bottle with water so I can see where the worst areas are on the outside. That way I won't be wasting time working on areas that don't need it.

OK, now I dump out the water and Sara takes a picture. Look's like most of the problem is on the outside of the bottle, especially the back.

rw8jlh.jpg

Now I go find my cleaning stuff. It actually takes me longer to find the supplies than to clean the bottle. Since minerals have fused with the glass on the entire back of the bottle and a spot on the front and areas of the sides so I have to remove the top layer of glass in these areas. About half of the bottle is good so when I'm done it's still going to look presentable I hope.

This is a picture of what I'm using:

28i8cug.jpg

800 grit silicone carbide sandpaper to take off a glass layer, and 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit to polish the glass, bought at Autozone.

The packages of sandpaper came to about $15.00 but you get enough for lots of bottles. I use the large eraser for the large areas and the pencil eraser for the small ones. Large eraser and pencil are from the dollar store. I actually got about 20 pencil's for a dollar. [;)] Soon the large areas are small and I finish off with the pencil eraser. I spend an hour on this. Actually, that 's longer than I needed to because a couple times I realized I was wasting time polishing when it was already done, then turning the bottle over and over to admire it, then polishing, then admiring; you get the picture.

So now the outside of the bottle is done. I dry out the inside and I can see a lot of haze in it. I'm going to deal with that tomorrow maybe. Anyway, here it is now.

Front:
s3d9nm.jpg

Back:
hvpelc.jpg

suzanne

Reaction score
That is correct. Takes a lot more deposit off a lot faster than just using fingers to push sandpaper back and forth. Even if you have all the time in the world, erasor still works better.

Hopefully no one will think I just erased the sickness and is thinking about trying it.

Bixel

Reaction score
I was actually hoping that someone had just discovered that for some reason erasers worked for this stuff, and had made cleaning bottles so much easier. Keep on dreaming I guess....[&o]

No, but seriously, I knew what your plan with the eraser was.

suzanne

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Suze, are you sanding wet or dry?

It doesn't matter. You can't generate enough heat by hand sanding to hurt a bottle. If you ever tried something like this and thought it wasn't working, you just have to be kind of patient. It takes a bottle a hundred years to end up looking this bad and it doesn't come off in 5 minutes. Wish it did.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.