Cleaning Stained Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Dale

Reaction score
I use the Works toilet bowl cleaner, you need to use elbow length rubber gloves. I got mine at an auto parts store. The Works is very corrosive. If you get any of it on your skin or eyes, wash it out with water immediately. The Works is about as good as anything else I've tried. If I have alot of bottles to clean at one time I will take a 5 gallon bucket and pour one bottle (1 qt) of the Works into it and fill it about 3/4 full of water and let them soak, depending on how bad they are, from 30 minutes to 2 to 3 hours. And then I use a small brass chain, about a foot long, I got the chain from the hardware store, it is used for hanging lamps and decorations. I have another 5 gal bucket filled with clean water that I will rinse them out with. I will put the chain with a little bit of water in the bottle and shake it around the stained areas. You may have to do it several times, but it will usually take most of the stains out. If I only have 1 or 2 bottles I will pour the Works directly into the bottles and let them soak. After I'm thru letting them soak I will pour the Works back into the bottle to reuse. On the outside of the bottle I will use some scotch brite.
Dale

suzanne

Reaction score
Be careful using toilet cleaner because if you leave the bottle in it too long it will make the glass dead looking. I found this out when I was using double blind studies to see if any common household products would remove sickness. I put one bottle in The Works and one in white vinegar for a week to see if either of them would help. At the end of the week the vinegar bottle was clean but still sick and the toilet cleaner bottle was still sick and also had taken on a permanant unattractive dullness.

2467ALPCA

Reaction score
Good to know stuff here. I'm sure glad I joined this group. I've collected bottles for almost 40 years, I used to dig them but lost all my spots through the years. Cleaning the inside of many bottles has always been a problem. I've just found the solution.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR